Drum Shell Project

Burgundy68

Reaction score
Recently acquired a 60's Rogers Power Tone snare drum - wood shell in champagne sparkle. All original parts. The drum had been "wallpapered" and the inside painted black. The previous owner removed the paper and paint. The wrap is a little scuffed, but I must say not real bad considering. The drum sounds great! They did paint the tone control felt when spraying the inside. Not sure why people do things!!!!

The only thing I'm trying to do is brighten up the exterior and seal it. I'm thinking about a few coats of Krylon crystal clear to brighten up the wrap. I like the older look so as long as I can get a shine, I'm not too worried about the scrapes.

The other option is some carnauba wax with some elbow grease.

Should I leave well enough alone or go for Krylon seal/shine?

Thanks

Attachments

levelpebble

Reaction score
I would try Meguiar's PlastX as a first step. And a lot of elbow grease, as you say. If that doesn't work, then Novus 2, followed by Novus 1 or standard carwax, to see if the shine comes back. If still not satisfied, then consider wetsanding 1000/1500.

Burgundy68

Reaction score
Took your advise Levelpebble and the PlastX and carnauba seemed to work. Not showroom but looks good behind the kit.

May try a few coats of Krylon at a later date, but the sound is about right now so I'll leave as is.

Should be a law for wallpapering and spray painting vintage drums.....

Thanks again.

Attachments

Latest posts