Drum Shoes

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wear cheap dollar store flip flops, around the house and facilities, even drumming.

Setting a cheap kit up that I have finally got some hardware adjusted to it today with jeans and hiking boots on I had from the day and it felt weird. Could have been the cheap kick pedal I had but still.

Footwear isn't generally a big issue with me, that my right foot slides back and wants to play in the middle of the pedal is.

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
I wear "Bun E shoes". I've been wearing them for 35 years. They're seen on alot of Cheap Trick records.
They were called "Deer Stags" and made of soft deer skin with a thinner bendable sole. I play heel up so that helps.
I used to buy them at Farm and Fleet. Then in the 80's the company moved to Arkansas and F+F stopped selling them. In the late 80's they closed and went to China. I found a couple more pair and then the company disappeared.
I have about a dozen pair left, all in various states of disrepair. Like Dave Tough, I've gotta have "my" shoes or the gig ain't quite right for me.

Dude IDK if you're literally Bun E. Carlos from Cheap Trick, and IDK if this is some kind of forum violation, but I wanna say I'm a FAN! I saw y
i'm a bare footer, all the way... i can't believe more haven't chimed in.

Almost a decade later: YES!

I had a recent gig where I forgot to wear my flp flops, which meant I had to take off actual shoes and socks before the music started. I was beside myself. But the option of playing in my very comfortable business-casual shoes was not even considered. And playing in socks is worst of all for me.

I've played in shoes - incuding black stiff dress shoes - but it's never the optimal choice. I want to feel the steel of the kick pedal and hi hat stand under my feet. The microscopic adjustments based on feel can't be made as well with shoes on. Plus the weight of shoes - to me even light shoes - is way more difficult to deal with.

If I had to have something on my feet, I would choose chucks cuz they feel like you're not wearing anything. Just socks would feel way strange to me.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Grip tread Socks!
This at least for me is an excellent solution for playing drums.
I play heel up so the bend on the top of shoes bother me. I used to use flat soled Puma's but no more. Barefoot is OK but I like the slight cushion of a sock + the added grip on the bottom of the grip tread socks. Here is an example picture from one on Amazon:
Screenshot 2020-09-20 at 1.47.28 AM.png

AgentGreen

Reaction score
This is a cool thread. I read similar things to what I do. Normally at home it's socks or barefoot, depending on how warm it is. For band practice I wear my everyday New Balance shoes, which are for walking having a thicker heel than flat shoes, but not as thick as a running shoe. I play mostly heel down, and I noticed that my foot gets tired/locks up when playing at home barefoot/socks for a while, so I had to wedge piece of wood under the heel of the kick drum pedal to raise it slightly, and voila! Feels so much better, even if the difference is ~1cm of height.

@chetatkinsdiet, I do the swivel thing too on my HH, but that's an automatic reflex or something, only happens when I'm in the zone. :)

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I practice and rehearse in Nike running shoes.

Most gigs are done in Van's Slip-ons.

1600607083037.png

or...

1600607204188.png

When I was in a band called Hellin Back, I wore these.

1600607319538.png

Or these...

1600607378166.png

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up a pair of those Virgil Donati Urban Boards shoes. I like em except I got them too small. I could’ve returned them but ended up using them at some shows last year. I’d get them again choosing the right size.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not too picky about shoes as long as the soles are reasonably thin and flexible. Most of the time I wear chucks or cowboy boots, and those are fine for drumming.
Same here, my younger years dress shoes hurt my feet and been wearing cowboy boots ever since. And that's what I use for making noise and dancing to noise.

sherm

m_anderson

Reaction score
I am always in search of the perfect drum shoe. When I look at a pair of shoes, it is the first thing I think about. I am not beyond investing in a shoe the same as I invest in gear. I just spent a god-awful amount of money this morning on these hoping they will be an excellent drum shoe.

Davo

Reaction score
Heavy cotton socks . I hate anything that sticks to the footboard . My foot needs to slide heel up for those quick doubles and triples . The Rogers footboard is fairly smooth and cotton socks slide just right .

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t even notice.

Any of my shoes will do as long as they don’t go over the ankle.
For me to have one less piece of must-have gear is probably a good thing.

There’s something else. My foot work is pretty basic and really doesn’t deserve any special adornment.

drummertom

DFO Veteran
Staff member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been wearing the Merrill Trail Glove lately. Light, comfortable.

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 1.38.47 PM.png

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding specialized "drum shoes," have you ever seen a guy get out of a sports car wearing "driving shoes" or, worse yet, "racing shoes" like NASCAR drivers wear? Did those shoes make you think he is a silly person? You weren't wrong.

Santino

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bare Footer for "casual" shows...rock, blues. Capezio Jazz Oxford for dress-up gigs.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When I played as a teen, I absolutely loved wearing my Reebok Waffle Racers. Basically a spikeless cross country running shoe. LIGHT, SO Dang light! I wore the crap out of them, literally. They fell apart by the time I started college.

Today. . . .well, I HAVE to wear orthotics due to some seriously FLAT ass feet--thanks granny (she's the only other person in the family that I know of that had flat feet). So now, it has everything to do with general comfort when I play. All of my shoes are lighter--running shoes, cross trainers, etc.--at least when I play.

I can't find waffle racers to save my butt nowadays. The minimalist shoes have probably taken their place, but NO room for my feet WITH orthotics. :dontknow:

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a pair of the dB drum shoes. Super light weight and breathable. You are supposed to wear them without socks and when you do, it feels like you are playing barefoot.