Drum shops in Sydney and Melbourne?

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’m in Australia and looking for good drum shops to check out, since I have no kit here and want to play briefly at least.

If the kangaroo drum heads are in either shop, that would be even better since I wanted to pick up one or two.

I’m two hours southwest of Sydney and about 7-8 hours from Melbourne, I’m in Southern Highlands, planning to spend some time in both Sydney and Melbourne.

msum

Reaction score
Drums and Percussion Co-Op in Enmore, Sydney.

GH Music in Flemington/Travancore, Melbourne.

Drumtek in Northcote, Melbourne

You can get kangaroo hide drumheads directly from Steele at Kentville Drums in New South Wales.

I reckon a bunch of small builders would be happy for you to organise to visit them. In Victoria, that could include Red Rock Drums and Swan Drums. In Queensland, that could be Haldane Drums and Metro Drums. In New South Wales, that could be SIA Drums and Fidock Drums. In South Australia, that could be Craig Lauritsen, cymbalsmith to the stars.

Browny

Reaction score
Also in Melbourne is Drummers Paradise in Richmond, the new Billy Hyde in Nunawading, Drum Power in Bayswater

Pibroch

Reaction score
Melbourne:
https://www.drummersparadise.com.au/ Very easy going and helpful staff - relaxing shop.
https://www.drumtek.com.au/ “Con” is one of the best sales assistants I’ve met.

Whitten

Reaction score
Probably the Drums and Percussion Co-Op, Enmore in Sydney is perfect for what you need.
Also, the guys at Better Music in Canberra are very nice (close to Southern Highlands).

Steele

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m in Australia and looking for good drum shops to check out, since I have no kit here and want to play briefly at least.

If the kangaroo drum heads are in either shop, that would be even better since I wanted to pick up one or two.

I’m two hours southwest of Sydney and about 7-8 hours from Melbourne, I’m in Southern Highlands, planning to spend some time in both Sydney and Melbourne.
Welcome to Australia! Our heads are in stock at GH Music in Melbourne. In Sydney you're best to contact me directly though you can find some 14" mediums at Optimum Percussion in Burwood. Drums and Percussion co-op is in its death throws and we no longer stock with them. Feel free to email me if you'd like to tee up a time to visit the Kentville workshop info@kentvilledrums.com.au

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Having lived in Melbourne for 2 years, Drum Power East of Melbourne has the best pricing I found. They will deal too. Small shop though, so not the best for browsing.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
We went by Drums and Percussion Co-Op in Sydney. There was a sign on the door saying it was closed due to family issues.

The Guitar Factory in Parrmatta had nice kits on the floor but they were touchy about having them played, so we rented a practice room for a bit and I got my playing fix in.

We’re now in Melbourne and heading to some shops out here. Thanks for the suggestions. I will update

I’m planning to call Steele and arrange to have a look at some kangaroo heads when we’re back in New South Wales.

Australia is better than America!

Targalx

Reaction score
I visited family in Australia on more than one occasion in the 1990s. One time, I got so itchy to play drums, I took two trains and two buses to a rehearsal studio miles away from where I was staying, just to play on a kit. The band next door was super friendly and asked me to sit in with them. Everyone there was so hospitable.

I hope all of our Australian Drumforum friends are doing okay, given the rampant wildfires burning throughout the country.