Drum Solo for School Talent Show

JMSpider

Reaction score
I'm performing a drum solo for my school's talent show. The show is 12 contestants that they make a 1 minute video of that they show during study hall and then people vote and the top half move on to next week. The first week I will have 1 minute and each week I advance the time will double.

Does anyone have any ideas for what I can play in a solo that will appeal to highschoolers both ones that are experienced musicians and ones that have never touched an instrument outside of a recorder in 4th grade?

jansara

Reaction score
If you believe in yourself, play what you feel. Let your talent take it to wherever.

You can't please everyone.

Asking for ideas/advice only complicates things. Play you.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
Play something simple and with steady tempo that has some tom beats and some crashes. Make it simple so that you could play it in your sleep. People tend to like simple, easy-to-follow stuff when listening to solo instruments. Musicians, on the other hand, want showy stuff. Don't go there! Ha ha.

FunkyCrime

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It’s a talent show, play something your good at and can do well. Good dynamics/ start gradually and end with a bang.. there are a ton of good GC drum off performances on YouTube. Also the fact that it’s a video and not live performance means you have some time to get it right. Good luck!

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about trying to appeal to the musicians. They make up less than 1% of the school and they'll be overly critical anyway. Your audience are the kids who just want to hear something flashy and expected. Start with a groove based on the toms and keep the heart of that groove going the whole time. Add embellishments as you go and build to your big, flashy finish. That's what people are waiting for. Make sure what they hear leading up to that finish makes them want to dance in their seat a little.

Remember, what's cool to drummers is probably not cool to regular people.

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
Listen to “Sing, Sing, Sing” and base your solo off of that - rhymic, propulsive, simple. End with snare /cymbals like Krupa.
I agree 100% I taught this beat to my students back when I taught drum lessons. It's a rousing beat that gets everyone's Indian blood perking. Play it on your toms and end up on the cymbals and snare. Can't go wrong here - a winner for sure.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I like the idea of following something like Sing, Sing, Sing. I think that is a great idea and it has groove to it and will get people stomping their feet. You can throw in some fills around the floor tom breaks but that pulse will still be there. Good luck on your challenge. I actually did a drum solo at my high school songwriting show. Everyone played songs and because there were too many drummers, I ended up doing a solo. At the time I figured it was no big deal as I doubted that hardly anyone was going to be at the performance. Boy was I wrong.... The whole damn school was there. It was a good experience to get over nerves though as I had no choice at that point.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Try starting slow like you've never played before, then maybe play some beats of songs that the "younger kids" now enjoy - I have no clue what that could be! - then maybe 5 - 10 intros or drum beats that everyone should know (We Will Rock You, etc....) then do a loud fast ending!