Drum Solo Time

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
I'm really sorry, it's probably better than I could ever play but seven minutes of single stroke rolls, triplets and doubles between the bass and toms with zero musicality and/or groove, even with the theatrics is ZZZZZZZZ for me.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Aside from what Neil used to do, the extended rock drum solo bores me. I am a fan of the jazz or fusion solos taken in the context of the tune. Where the drummer takes a brief solo like the guitarist, bass, sax, etc would. I find those a lot more musical.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
It takes guts to play a drum solo - it is really putting yourself out there. I will say this one went on a few minutes longer than it should have - who is the drummer? Doesn’t look familiar to me.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Alex Gonzalez from the band Mana. I know nothing about them except they are South American pop.

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I dunno, I thought it went a bit long but it fit the venue and likely the band's style. Energy was up - crowd matching Alex's energy. Thought it was pretty good. Would've been exciting being there and feeling it.

I also don't think Marco (incredible) "torched" the guy in the 2nd vid.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
the important thing is you hear the audience loving it and so do i. I cant stand the boring buzz roll snare drum solo stuff

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I also don't think Marco (incredible) "torched" the guy in the 2nd vid.
[/QUOTE]
Did you watch the whole thing where they traded solos? I have seen Marco in person. Alex is not in the same zip code but you're entitled to your opinion.

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
It's not really about "torching" another player, is it? They're obviously both fine drummers, they just have very different feels and styles.

The solo posted originally is boring to me (most are other than short solo's with a groove) but you can see from it he's a good player and as the OP stated, the audience is loving it. Ultimately that's who he's playing it for to entertain, not us.