Drum Storage 101

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder if this happens as a result of a death in the family or a drummer goes into the military or something?

I mean that doesn't look like a junk kit and hardware.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
thats pretty typical in los angeles where real estate cost a fortune per square foot. all my spare drums are stored like that. whats the problem ?

View attachment 393619
We could start with the hoops in direct contact with the concrete, move on to the lack of bags or any protection against the elements whatsoever and the 100s of pounds of hardware leaning against the wrap and rusting away....

I'll go have a cup of coffee while you think about that....

Lol

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's a photo of just a small section of a northeast seller's wharehouse full of drums. I suppose they're kept there for viewing and "safe keeping." A couple dozen kits total and piles of hardware and cymbals.

Last edited:

supershifter2

DFO Master
Reaction score
We could start with the hoops in direct contact with the concrete, move on to the lack of bags or any protection against the elements whatsoever and the 100s of pounds of hardware leaning against the wrap and rusting away....

Lol
I dont see anything rusting away. hoops on concrete dont rust over night. the stands have rubber feet on them. those drums are cared for way better than lots of drummers treat their playout kits. over the years and esp[ecially here in hollywood ca i have seen so many drummer beat their kits to pieces when putting them on and off stage and taking them out of the clubs and beer and drinks spilled on them and stands tossed in road boxes and backs of vans and drums slammed against door jams and all kinds of abuse. but just let someone stack them like that and it becomes a mortal sin. if those drums mean that much to you then go buy them and store them the way you think they should be stored. oh and by the way i have been playing since 1970 and my 2 tama kits that i bought new in 1986 still look NEW and all my stands still look new and some are stored just like that under a roof out of the weather and are not subject to abuse. its the gentleness you stack them with that matters. I have seen drums stacked on carpet that were bumped into each other and dinged and gouged and scratched. and I dont store my drums in bags or cases because i have seen many over the years that mildewed from moisture that the bags held and case foam that turned to goo an nasty'd up the drum finish. If you need a box use cardboard with some air holes. also in dont need no stinking coffee.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I dont see anything rusting away. hoops on concrete dont rust over night. the stands have rubber feet on them. those drums are cared for way better than lots of drummers treat their playout kits. over the years and esp[ecially here in hollywood ca i have seen so many drummer beat their kits to pieces when putting them on and off stage and taking them out of the clubs and beer and drinks spilled on them and stands tossed in road boxes and backs of vans and drums slammed against door jams and all kinds of abuse. but just let someone stack them like that and it becomes a mortal sin. if those drums mean that much to you then go buy them and store them the way you think they should be stored. oh and by the way i have been playing since 1970 and my 2 tama kits that i bought new in 1986 still look NEW and all my stands still look new and some are stored just like that under a roof out of the weather and are not subject to abuse. its the gentleness you stack them with that matters. I have seen drums stacked on carpet that were bumped into each other and dinged and gouged and scratched. and I dont store my drums in bags or cases because i have seen many over the years that mildewed from moisture that the bags held and case foam that turned to goo an nasty'd up the drum finish. If you need a box use cardboard with some air holes. also in dont need no stinking coffee.
Paragraphs dude....PARAGRAPHS!

I can't even begin to negotiate all of that....

Lol

PS-the coffee was for ME...

Have a good one!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I stack my kits for storage, but I place 2 wooden pine slats spaced on the 2 outer perimeters of each drum's rim to stack the next drum. I just hate having the weight of piled up drums resting on each individual batter head. Or, in the case of the bass drum, the display head.

In my opinion, it can't be good for the heads. I cringe when I see this done in music shops.

Heads ain't cheap! Maybe I'm OCD. I hear they have medicine for that!20160223_125531.jpg

Last edited:

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Lol
Around here that hardware in those positions would not cause any rust problems.