Drum Stores That Deserve Our Support

Lee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Now called Rudy's Drum Shop but still a lot closer than Oregon for one of the top drum shops. Have you been to Ted Brown Music? https://www.tedbrownmusic.com/category/620/drums-percussion
I will have to wander up to check out Rudy’s. I have been going to RT’s since living in Salem, Oregon from 2006-2015, so I have a high level of comfort with the store and the staff, and have always been very satisfied when buying and seeking percussion gear there. I have been to Ted’s numerous times. My lovely wife is a pianist and likes the sheet music selection at Teds.

OttawaDrumGuy

Reaction score
I feel incredibly lucky to have Dave's Drum Shop here in town. He's a great guy, and always has such an interesting variety of new and used gear at very fair prices. In the past few weeks he expanded into the former pilates studio next door, almost doubling his floor space. Great to see him doing well - definitely well-earned.

And while I've only had a chance to stop by Murat's shop once while on a holiday roadtrip, I echo what others have already said in this thread. Well worth the drive to Aurora.

cobaltspike

Reaction score
Rhythm Traders in Portland, Oregon Is my main go—to for any percussion related times. A great shop with knowledgeable and friendly staff. Living in Olympia, Washington, I also have access to Donn Bennett’s
Drum Studio but Seattle/Bellevue is such a pain to get through, and paying tolls on bridges gets on my nerves... I have done business with Bentley’s and Dales Drums also, but now I am going off in the weeds...
Rudy bought the store from Donn a few years back and now has moved to a different building and it's called Rudy's Drum Shop

cobaltspike

Reaction score
Not too far from Seattle was Donn Bennetts Drum Shop which he sold to Rudy Simone a few years back and now they have moved to a different building but are a great drum shop and friendly peeps. There used to be another great shop in Burien Washington called Keith Purvis Drum Shop but they are gone now.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know if anyone has mentioned Memphis Drum Shop yet, but they set the standard for virtually checking things out before you buy online. They were doing it first and after about 5 years, their method was refined enough that I and many drummers find it an invaluable resource.

GC is the polar opposite, even though they’ve improved with an online demo presence in recent years. But the experience of visiting one in person lacks so greatly compared to places like MDS, or more locally to me, Bentley’s Drum Shop or A Drummer’s Tradition. I haven’t even been to MDS but witnessing to their layout and having dealt with them before, I can tell you that afterward you wonder why a place like GC still exists.

And how many times now have we seen a thread about GC going out of business or filing for bankruptcy? I’ve lost count.

Olrocker

Reaction score
There's a thread obsessing about what might happen to Guitar Center. While I hope GC continues, the only point of agreement in our discussions seems to be Guitar Center in its current form is pretty inadequate in terms of meeting drummers' needs and desires.

But, what about other current music and drum stores? Let's talk about what they're doing right!

Where I live, nearly all the big independent music instrument stores have closed. However, I feel lucky to have a pretty vibrant Music Go Round that typically has 20 or more drum sets on the floor on a typical day. They're not playable and there's a mish-mash of brands, but there's some good stuff. At any one time, you can also find 30-plus cymbals and there's a good selection of stands and even a few shelves of clamps and other accessories.

Further from home, Raleigh's 2112 Percussion is a Valhalla of new and used equipment... It's been there for 30 years, and I've thoroughly enjoyed every visit there, but I'm not able to get there often since it's more than 90 miles away. Since it's a convenient stop on trips to and from North Carolina's beautiful coast, I do get there more often than I visit my town's GC.

While I can attest to 2112's financial health (which I hope is good), I think it's helped by the fact it's in an old (windowless) building that's closer to an industrial area than high-traffic retail districts, and the parking lot is often cramped... So, I'm assuming lower-than-average overhead. It also sells a mix a new and used gear... which I'm sure some retail experts can bring mixed results in terms of customers choosing used stuff over higher-profit still-in-the-box stuff.

Maybe 2112's unique strategy and its excellent excellent staff could inspire similar drum-specialty stores in surrounding states.
https://www.2112percussion.com/
+10 re: 2112 in Raleigh. I moved to FL last year and miss that place...

fredpasta

Reaction score
Daves Drumshop in Ottawa, Canada @ davesdrumshop.com Does lots of online selling. Inventory constantly changing and it's priced in Canadian $, which means a huge discount for those in the US. Dave's a great guy to deal with to boot!

Ickybaby

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike’s Drum shop in Villa Park, Il is worthy of support. Great hi end kits on the floor Sonor, Sonor, Sonor, WFL III. Sonor, and a few other brands.

pan60

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i spent the past week and more hr then i care to count trying to find drumd heads, Revival Drum Shop hooked me up so a shout out to Revival Drum Shop.

and the big thanks to Memphis Drum Shop for recomending Revival!
thanks guys!

Reaction score
Sweetwater the only one that deserves my support. They call ask how I'm doing if I need anything and send me candy
Sweetwater is a Billion dollar company. They sure don’t need anyone’s support. Don’t be such an easy target for their cheap sales tactics. Two cents worth of candy and another local store just went under.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any store that has employees. They need to eat and most are musicians like us. i mean drummers like us. lol

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of which, isn't it about time for you to pick up your prescriptions?
;) I could swore I read that title as " Drug Stores that Deserve Our Support"
Hale I don't even believe in aspirin.

lol!!!

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe brother, believe!

766x415_Is_Aspirin_an_NSAID.jpg