Drum Supply copper shell

Stone Wilcoxon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Been looking at Drum Supply's copper snare kit. Anybody have experience with this company, and this drum in particular?

stevil

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I vouch for the company, but I don't have experience with this particular shell. A local drum shop had a store brand copper shell that probably came from the same source, and I liked it quite a bit. On a pound-for-pound dollar-for-dollar basis it blew the doors off a copperphonic.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would ask a few questions on the shell. What is the thickness of the shell in mm? Coming from China these are generally 1.0mm shells and I will also tell you that the measurement on the rolled copper could vary. You should ask Drum Supply about that, but they may not get into that with a buyer. Are these shells seamless (probably not, since I know Andy would have jumped all over saying that)? More than likely rolled and welded inside. How are the snare beds done, crimped? And the DIY drum is an 8-lug, is the open sound of an 8-lug what you want from a metal drum? Or are you looking for a tighter 10-lug? Drum Supply can do both, just know what you are wanting here. The lugs are not USA so just letting you know that you are dealing with thinner brass, thinner threads & metric screws, which is fine so long as you are aware should you need to replace at some point. I have owned the lugs and they are okay, you can get stripping if you are using a drill on the tension rods off and on. BE CAREFUL. Lugs are not as good as Darwin or Ludwig's USA made, but they are okay. What's the difference? thicker brass and better threading from USA. Having a copper drum is something I also do want in my collection, but I'm still looking. This price is dramatically less than a Luddy Copperphonic, but I don't know enough about this drum to say go for it.