Drum teacher reacts to Buddy Rich

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah some of these YouTube videos should be more honest in their titles. Instead of saying "Drum Teacher reacts to Buddy Rich", they should really say "Person that never heard Buddy Rich before reacts". In this verbiage it is more believable. Because I don't know one 'Drum Teacher' that wouldn't know Buddy Rich.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is actually one of my least liked Buddy solo's. It's way different in that he starts off so slow. He also seemed disinterested and spent a lot of time diddling around before he cooked it. But then again, Buddy's diddling is as good as most drummers get.

Looking at his posture here, you can see why he was nearly crippled with chronic back pain later in his career.

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah some of these YouTube videos should be more honest in their titles. Instead of saying "Drum Teacher reacts to Buddy Rich", they should really say "Person that never heard Buddy Rich before reacts". In this verbiage it is more believable. Because I don't know one 'Drum Teacher' that wouldn't know Buddy Rich.
I agree..the guy didn't know much about Buddy, nor the state of Slingerland..

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is actually one of my least liked Buddy solo's. It's way different in that he starts off so slow. He also seemed disinterested and spent a lot of time diddling around before he cooked it. But then again, Buddy's diddling is as good as most drummers get.

Looking at his posture here, you can see why he was nearly crippled with chronic back pain later in his career.
I was thinking the same thing. Buddy looks tired, maybe even under the weather in this vid.

drumstuff66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert how Buddy looks or feels during this performance (though I agree, no wonder back issues) as I haven't heard or seen as many Buddy solos as some of you, but I actually liked this one better than some others I've heard.

I like that he starts off a little slow and quiet and gives himself room to take it somewhere else instead of just blazing right out of the gate. I just found myself sticking with it wondering, like the guy in the video asked, "What's he going to do next?"

I love Buddy, was lucky to have seen him as a 13 year old and even speak to him outside his trailer (he didn't speak back. haha), and his solos usually amaze me for the pure chops and technique. Again, no expert on BR solos, but this one was a little different for me...

Man, if only I could diddle around like that...

Thanks for posting!

jansara

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He should have picked one of the many videos of Rich in his prime.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I much prefer this reaction by Garry Williams, who I think is able to see and analyze what Buddy is doing much more academically and musically.

Mayan

Reaction score
I must just be old fashioned, but I just don’t get the whole genre of “reaction videos” regardless of subject.
Not only reaction videos, but comparisons of youtube drummers playing the Rosanna groove. What YouTube drummer sounds the most like Jeff Porcaro?!?!

Lots of hands with lots of time upon them...

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is one of the best solos I've heard Buddy play, real power and intensity. 1982 was a good year for music. Great sound too.

That is not only one of my favorite Buddy solos, but it is, without a doubt, my favorite video of Buddy, because the sound quality is as good as it got back then. You could hear the bass drum mixed properly, as well as the toms. There are plenty of films / videos of buddy playing great stuff, but the sound quality is not good. Here you can hear his drums as they are meant to be heard.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reaction videos are a guilty pleasure. I don't know why they suck me in. And most are such fake "first time" reactions at that. But I am a sucker for them.

I like the videos this guy makes.

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Reaction videos are a guilty pleasure. I don't know why they suck me in. And most are such fake "first time" reactions at that. But I am a sucker for them.

I like the videos this guy makes.

At least your honest about it! I don’t get “influencers” either. I mean I get it, but not my generation. If you can make money at it, it’ll get done.... a lot

Mayan

Reaction score
At least your honest about it! I don’t get “influencers” either. I mean I get it, but not my generation. If you can make money at it, it’ll get done.... a lot
It’s a different world we live in now, with the first generation that has grown up with social media being an important part of one‘s social life. I read two weeks ago that “famous influencer” is now the most common answer to the age old question, “What do you wanna be when you grow up?” Well it Used to be that famous people (actors, actresses, pop stars, celebrities in general) were often totally thankful for their fans (fame), but longed for some privacy. They did something, had some talent to be famous for, and the fame was the least fun part of it all. Which makes sense to me, I would DESPISE having strangers with cameras camping outside of my house or waiting for me to leave a restaurant.

And you’re right, it can now be monetized. So just being yourself and documenting your every move and hoping the world is watching is the new “What I wanna be when I grow up.”

budrock

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is not only one of my favorite Buddy solos, but it is, without a doubt, my favorite video of Buddy, because the sound quality is as good as it got back then. You could hear the bass drum mixed properly, as well as the toms. There are plenty of films / videos of buddy playing great stuff, but the sound quality is not good. Here you can hear his drums as they are meant to be heard.

Might be my favorite as well. And whoever tuned those drums, they sound great.

Bluenote

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool vid. Doubt there’s a Rich clip that hasn’t made me smile or awe-laugh aloud.

Buddy’s temperament and opinions may not align with my own, but you know what? I love them because they’re honest, they’re just him. One of those people where you clearly know where you stand.

Drum world is blessed with a lot of greats, and Buddy is atop the field for me.

Just wish I had seen him perform live.

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
Not only reaction videos, but comparisons of youtube drummers playing the Rosanna groove. What YouTube drummer sounds the most like Jeff Porcaro?!?!

Lots of hands with lots of time upon them...

Agree but it was still interesting flicking through it though, I'd never seen it.

Like watching people try to sing Queen songs makes you appreciate just how good Freddie Mercury was, this is the same for me with Jeff Porcaro.

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
Cool vid. Doubt there’s a Rich clip that hasn’t made me smile or awe-laugh aloud.

Buddy’s temperament and opinions may not align with my own, but you know what? I love them because they’re honest, they’re just him. One of those people where you clearly know where you stand.

Drum world is blessed with a lot of greats, and Buddy is atop the field for me.

Just wish I had seen him perform live.
Great post.

Buddy Rich might have been an A-hole on the wrong day or maybe just for the wrong person. But I'd say besides probably Ringo (because of the obvious) he's arguably the most famous drummer of all time and has left a positive mark on, or influenced many thousands of drummers after him. How many can say that?

You can't watch him play and honestly not be impressed, even against the standards of some of today's mind blowing players. The legend tag gets thrown at nearly everyone these days but he passed away in 1987 and we're still discussing him, in my opinion he is a true legend.

Last edited: