header.nohb.html

Drum Thrones - Gibraltar or Roc N Soc

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Dave Elitch recommemds the DW 9100 AL

He also mentioned he‘s working to get dw to make a 3 leg version.

Sorry I know it‘s not in your original selection but might be worth a shot.
I have not tried either of the ones you mentioned and my tama ergo rider is on the bouncy side so not my first choice. I‘m back to round top and spindle.
I will also throw in the DW 9100. I too apologize since it is not one of the OP's choices.

g-dude

Reaction score
Interesting seeing all the backrest users - and I get it from the perspective of being someone who would like a backrest - but we haven’t gone with a backrest in our household.

Big factor was my son’s teacher who pointed out that if he gets used to the backrest, he’ll have issues when there isn’t one - probably because of core muscle strength.

Obviously for adults, especially those with experience under the belts (and possibly a few donuts under there as well in my case), it’s probably less of an issue.

That being said, I’ve found the Roc N Soc to be comfy enough that I’m not really noticing that I don’t have a backrest - and I’ve only been playing a year.

What I have noticed is that our prior drum throne is super uncomfortable in comparison…so once you go with a Roc N Soc, I think you’re stuck. :icon_e_smile:

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
Here is how I put the Nitro base and backrest on my Soundseat. The Soundseat bottom is contoured so nothing sits flat. I had to use nylon spacers to level out the base plate and I found a piece of aluminum to off set the mount for the backrest. The hydraulic Soundseat base is massive so with this I have an easily transportable throne.
A544C01D-D012-4A38-BE96-9B0C04BF5E2B.jpeg
F962F796-6244-402C-9A54-92E9EF2E4494.jpeg
AC8E6E68-FA88-4EB9-AD64-6E3566C838A7.jpeg
9F56431A-DF68-4D04-8CA6-851E91E92686.jpeg

brhythm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I currently own the Roc N Soc Nitro with backrest. I'm just coming off a stint playing a high school musical, and I've played in their pit for many years. The school has a non nitro Gibraltar thrown. My experience with it is I will never buy a Gibraltar throne. It's rickety. It wobbles. The back rest fits poorly. Based on the feedback you've already received I'd say go Roc N Soc.

I will add two SLIGHT downsides to the Roc N Soc... Their throne bag doesn't fit the throne AND back rest well. It works fine for the throne, but the backrest doesn't fit well in the bag. And 2, the backrest doesn't offer much height adjustment. It works ok for me, but I wish it would go lower.

Reaction score
I currently own the Roc N Soc Nitro with backrest. I'm just coming off a stint playing a high school musical, and I've played in their pit for many years. The school has a non nitro Gibraltar thrown. My experience with it is I will never buy a Gibraltar throne. It's rickety. It wobbles. The back rest fits poorly. Based on the feedback you've already received I'd say go Roc N Soc.

I will add two SLIGHT downsides to the Roc N Soc... Their throne bag doesn't fit the throne AND back rest well. It works fine for the throne, but the backrest doesn't fit well in the bag. And 2, the backrest doesn't offer much height adjustment. It works ok for me, but I wish it would go lower.
The new R&S backrest can go all the way down touching the seat.

Here it is in mid position:
1670605320040.png

Atticus-XI

Reaction score
Roc n Soc, but be warned that there's a noticeable bounce in the nitro version. A lot of people love it - I can't do it, it drives me nuts. I elected to grab the "normal" Roc n Soc.

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another +1 for Roc-n-Soc Nitro with Backrest. Purchased it around the time I had lower back surgery circa 1999 or so. So glad I did…still use it and never had an issue. A real back saver!

Trilock_Gurtu

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I loved my Roc n' Soc - until I got a Sound Seat.

I have a retro MP with backrest on order. Bretta should have it shipped any day now. I'll be using it with a low Gibraltar base. I'm excited to give it a go. I've had RocNSoc nitro with backrest, Ahead, Pearl, DW, etc etc. The RocNSoc is OK, but a bit overrated imo.

Reactions: owr

DrummBumm89

Reaction score
Backrest users, do you sit all the way back when you play? I bought a Roc n Soc backrest years ago and noticed I'd have to sit way back to get any benefit. That puts my legs much more on the seat (apparently I sit on the edge of the motorcycle throne). I could see it's use for gigs where there's a ton of time with no drums, but a multi-hour gig with no breaks I didn't use the backrest once.
Knock on wood my back is okay for now so that may have something to do with the tradeoff.

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
Backrest users, do you sit all the way back when you play? I bought a Roc n Soc backrest years ago and noticed I'd have to sit way back to get any benefit. That puts my legs much more on the seat (apparently I sit on the edge of the motorcycle throne). I could see it's use for gigs where there's a ton of time with no drums, but a multi-hour gig with no breaks I didn't use the backrest once.
Knock on wood my back is okay for now so that may have something to do with the tradeoff.

This question has prevented me from buying a back rest.

petereather

Reaction score
I picked up the 1 made by a chiropractor it is split in the middle and has springs under the seat never had a back issue since I put a back rest on just plain fantastic do some research . Your tail bone sits between awsome