Drum thrones with back

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’m considering a drum throne with a back. Frankly, it makes a lot of sense. I’ve seen a few pros using them, and am surprised they’re not more widely used.

Which ones would you recommend?

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've used both Roc 'n Soc and Gibraltar thrones with backrests, along with my very first throne 50 years ago that had no name on it. The RnS has worked so well that I currently own three of them, including a brand new one to replace one I sold to a friend.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’m considering a drum throne with a back. Frankly, it makes a lot of sense. I’ve seen a few pros using them, and am surprised they’re not more widely used.

Which ones would you recommend?
I like the RnS with backrest, but I keep it at home. I’m pretty sure the reason you don’t see more of them out at gigs and such is because they are a huge pain in the butt to pack along. Bulky, heavy, odd shaped.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Soundseat. Your back will thank me later. Mine is a hydralic and goes on every gig with me. I just put it in the car with the backrest into the footwell and the part you sit on on the back seat (upside down basically). Very easy to transport IMO.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like the RnS with backrest, but I keep it at home. I’m pretty sure the reason you don’t see more of them out at gigs and such is because they are a huge pain in the butt to pack along. Bulky, heavy, odd shaped.
I've been using the RnS Nitro for almost 20 years, and kept a ratchet wrench in my hardware bag for loosening the bolts on the seat. The new Nitro has two thumbscrews that are easy to loosen and tighten. No more wrench. I pack snare stand, hihat stand, and disassembled throne in a Bass Pro large boat bag. Piece of cake.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just got a roc n soc and DW 9000 hydraulic with back rests and I like the DW better. The roc n soc is very nice to though. I should mention I have back issues that require daily pain meds and the back rest has done wonders for me.

Last edited:

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Tama First Chair motorcycle seat with backrest. Been using it for 20 years, still in great shape. Nice adjustments, and comfortable. The backrest folds over, and with the legs folded, it fits right in the back of the suv with the rest of the gear...

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a Tama 1st Chair w/back for sale in the everything else section if interested. It is my sisters so I have no input on comfort, sorry.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
I found that having a backrest didn't help me much. I had to lean back too far, and it was awkward. And this is coming from a guy who has had lower back surgery.

What you want is a big wide throne that takes supports your thighs and takes the pressure off of your lumbar discs. And don't sit low. Roc n Soc, The Ahead spinal throne, Sound Seat.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like the idea of a backrest for added support and comfort but seems like it could be a bit of a pia to get in and out in a tight space where I usually find my self shoehorned into a corner.
With that said I’m always curiously eyeballing those 2 mount holes on the underside of my R&S nitro with the question of maybe just going for the backrest , maybe they have arm rests too, hey It could happen!

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I have a large gas lift Soundseat with back rest but it’s really a pain bringing to gigs so I ended up adapting an RnS back rest to a Soundseat retro top. I really like having the back rest. It helps me sit up straighter

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I like a backrest on a computer chair, but not a drum throne. And the RnS back tilts forward. Can be fixed with some muscle and a lever, is otherwise a great throne, but with the tilt, I really don't like it at my kit.

Latest posts