Drum Wrap 54" only..Why?

harry

Reaction score
Does anyone know why Delmar cuts their wrap at 54". I can't understand why this is.
Just another 2 feet or so and you're need just one piece for the larger drums.
Whats up with that??
harry

Z Furman

Reaction score
Here's my guess, I think the machines that make most of the wrap material are old & the 54" wide material from machine was standard. Some companies use some old machines when large production is not needed, the cost of new machines would take lots of orders for the larger size material to pay for it, some of the candy makers still use very old machines.

Drum on,
Z

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
I just did a quick Google search: apparently there are a lot of different industries that use 54", in length or width, as a standard in some sizes of materials they produce. Must be a commonality among different rolling, stamping, cutting machines.

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
I wonder why they decided upon 54"? It's totally arbitrary. 4.5 feet. You'd think 60" would make more sense, a nice, even 5 feet. :?

franke

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here's the skinny: wrap material - usually pearls and such - actually starts out as a solid block that is indeed made in Italy but is used to make eyeglass frames. 54" works out to be the optimum size to yield the maximum number of frames with the least amount of waste. What Delmar and other such companies do is take this solid block and slice it thin and apply a backing sheet to it. This material is also used to make guitar picks and decorative elements on accordions. Sparkles and glass glitters are layered between a tinted sheet (i.e. green, blue,. etc) on the top and a backing sheet on, where else, the back.

jriolo said:
Delmar doesn't cut the wrap, they get it from Italy. Maybe that was a good size for accordians which they may have supplied to before drums.

http://www.mazzucche...849.it/newsite/ ... mphist.htm

Aha! That's it..... The damn accordion players are always f__king it up for drummers. May their bellows shakes ensnare their private parts, and render them eunuchs.

Latest posts