header.nohb.html

Drum wrap measurement help

Pancho12

Reaction score
Hi guys, I recently acquired a 67' ludwig jazz fest, 5x14, that i'd like to rewrap, I have some left over wrap from a bass drum that is 14" in height (top to bottom) and 22" in width (left to right). What I wanted to know is if 22" width is enough to go all around the whole shell in one piece. If not, what's the appropriate length in width to completely wrap around 5x14 snare. All help and input is appreciated, thanks guys!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious what wrap it is? Geardaddy is right. You will need at least 44.5". I would put the seam under a lug since it's not much overlap (only 1/2") and won't likely stay together.

But what I think you are saying that the drum is 14x22? Typically, a sheet of wrap is 54" long and that is not enough to wrap all the way around a 22" drum. The 22" requires about 70" circumference. Thus, what normally happens is that a piece about 20" wide is put at the bottom, then the 54" piece is added around so that the top and sides of the drum are "seamless" and the two seams are at the bottom and overlap about 2" per side for the most part and are not visible.

So check your bass drum. It should look like this on the bottom. The center piece is laid, then the two edges overlap (arrows pointing inwards).

22 bass.jpg

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
Curious what wrap it is? Geardaddy is right. You will need at least 44.5". I would put the seam under a lug since it's not much overlap (only 1/2") and won't likely stay together.

But what I think you are saying that the drum is 14x22? Typically, a sheet of wrap is 54" long and that is not enough to wrap all the way around a 22" drum. The 22" requires about 70" circumference. Thus, what normally happens is that a piece about 20" wide is put at the bottom, then the 54" piece is added around so that the top and sides of the drum are "seamless" and the two seams are at the bottom and overlap about 2" per side for the most part and are not visible.

So check your bass drum. It should look like this on the bottom. The center piece is laid, then the two edges overlap (arrows pointing inwards).

View attachment 568397

The OP specified that he wanted to cover a Jazz-Fest 5x14 snare drum. His scrap piece of wrap is only 22 inches. He barely has enough for half way around!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The OP specified that he wanted to cover a Jazz-Fest 5x14 snare drum. His scrap piece of wrap is only 22 inches. He barely has enough for half way around!
I agree if the actual wrap remnant piece is 14" x 22", it won't make it unless he butts the pieces together and even then it would have to be a perfect fit and may leave a gap/seam.

However 14 and 22 are not random numbers when it comes to a bass drum. 14 high and 22 wide could mean 14 deep and 22 diameter? I reached out for clarification and never heard back. You most certainly would be right if it was the former, as I addressed in the first part of my reply. Cheers....