Drum wrap to match the Yamaha Blue Sparkle lacquer finish?

Joi Hjoll

Reaction score
Hi there

Can someone here with some drum wrap experience please help me out.

I'm looking for a blue sparkle/glitter drum wrap to match the Yamaha Blue Sparkle lacquer finish.
There are lot of blue sparkle wraps on the market but I'm not sure witch one will best match the Yamaha finish.

Thanks
Johann

View attachment 162577

W&A Player

DFO Master
Reaction score
Joi Hjoll said:
Yamaha don't offer a Blue Sparkle drum wrap, only Blue Sparkle lacquered drums...
So, why don't you find Yamaha drums that match? Or do you want sizes that Yamaha doesn't make?

joihjoll

Reaction score
The plan is to wrap a little Yamaha Stage Custom bop kit in Blue Sparkle to match my two Blue Sparkle Yamaha Absolute Maple snare drums.
The Stage Custom kit is not available in Blue Sparkle.

DoctorJosiah

Reaction score
Drums are painted with car paint. You can take the drums to a custom motorcycle shop. They are used to dealing with painting tight curves and can match the paint perfectly.

I've done this several times to successfully match toms to various kits.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Try the Doctor's suggestion. I've ordered an add on tom in a lacquer from Yamaha and I had to send them a drum to match and it still was off a bit(like it always will). I think this will be a tough one IMHO.

Joi Hjoll

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice guys. I think I will go with a wrap instead of a paint job as this kit is planed as a extra "low budget" jazz kit. I have a full kit of Blue Sparkle Absolute drums as my main kit. This just has to match as close as possible. I know it will never be the same but hopefully "close enough for jazz" :)

And by the way, the Yamaha Stage Custom Birch bebop kit sounds great in high bebop tuning!

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
I know this reply is an apples and oranges "thing", but if you are doing another kit the blue wrap from Drummaker.com will probably be close enough for all but the totally fanatical.
I did two Tempus clearance list B-grade snare drums in wrap from Drummaker and it is slightly diffirent but is almost a perfect match {shade, color} to this Royal Blue Micronic lacquer job. It also matches pretty closely, to a couple Ludwig Keyston era blue drums I have. IMHO
I would recommend that you go with the blue sparkle rather than the blue glass glitter as the flakes are much larger. {"Old cheapo" here got the blue glass glitter snare wrap pcs for $6 on drummaker's clearance list. FYI }

Dan Dakabin Drums

Reaction score
Ok, so I am years late to this party but I am curious if the blue sparkle wrap did get close to the blue sparkle lacquer. Thinking about doing the same

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, like a couple of the guys said, from the stage I doubt anyone will notice. Especially if the drums you are trying match are your snares. Maybe do one tom and then give it the 20ft test. Walk 20ft away and see how it looks, then move up to 10 and do the same.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And by the way, the Yamaha Stage Custom Birch bebop kit sounds great in high bebop tuning!
It sure does! I've been thinking about upgrading to a nicer bop kit (Maple Custom or Absolute or something), but everytime I play my SC Bop kit, I realize it just isn't necessary. The Stage Custom Bop really is an amazing value.

Latest posts