Drum wrap turned moldy or discoloured?

debbi

Reaction score
I recently bought a white PDP Mainstage on a big discount at this shop because the wrap was aesthetically damaged. Apparently, the AC leaked droplets onto the shells and no one wiped it off for months so that's why it looks the way it does. I'm not sure if it's mold inside the wrap or just discoloration.
Any tips on cleaning this out? I was thinking bleach or something, since the wrap is white anyway. But if the marks are actually mold then I think I'd have a bigger problem since all the shells have it.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? or has this happened to anyone before?

Attachments

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If it was a leaky AC, my first guess would be some rust stain. I'm not sure what would be strong enough to get the discoloration out, and NOT damage the wrap. Someone else will chime in soon.

debbi

Reaction score
If it was a leaky AC, my first guess would be some rust stain. I'm not sure what would be strong enough to get the discoloration out, and NOT damage the wrap. Someone else will chime in soon.
oh wow that was a quick reply! im new here and you replying within 30 minutes made me feel so welcome haha thank you! i hope more people join this thread

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
oh wow that was a quick reply! im new here and you replying within 30 minutes made me feel so welcome haha thank you! i hope more people join this thread
Oh! Well, welcome to the site officially. I've been here a few years. There are a lot of good peeps here. With tons of information. More will definitely join in.

To amend my first reply, I'm not sure how safe bleach would be unless it's watered down a bit? Something a bit milder to start would be my suggestion. You don't want a cleaner that will damage the wrap or it's shine.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Plain white wrap like that is fairly inexpensive. I would save the headache of trying to clean it and just peel it off and rewrap it. A company like BumWrap could get you the wrap for cheap I would think. A nicer wrap like delmar can also be had relatively inexpensively. You can get that at Precision Drum.

tubelugs

Reaction score
I recently bought a white PDP Mainstage on a big discount at this shop because the wrap was aesthetically damaged. Apparently, the AC leaked droplets onto the shells and no one wiped it off for months so that's why it looks the way it does. I'm not sure if it's mold inside the wrap or just discoloration.
Any tips on cleaning this out? I was thinking bleach or something, since the wrap is white anyway. But if the marks are actually mold then I think I'd have a bigger problem since all the shells have it.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? or has this happened to anyone before?
Ooo, it’s rewrap time. You’re never going to get rid of all that discoloration.

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would first start with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, maybe with some soap and water. Perhaps some Oxyclean granules mixed with water.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new kit! I’m fond of deep discounts. Would love to see the whole kit.

I’d at least try to clean it before dropping coin on rewrapping. Not sure what to recommend. Watery bleach solution seems like a reasonable start.

In my mind the hierarchy is thus, and it‘s not unlike approaching a new relationship:

1. Attempt at cleaning (can I change this person to be whom I think they should be, fulfilling his or her true potential?);

2. Acceptance through use. It’s not stain, it’s patina! (Okay so he/she’s not perfect but I accept him/her for who he/she is.);

3. Rewrap (It’s all good. Let’s admit our relationship is superficial so let’s just buy some new clothes and change our hair color.)

For me I’d live with the kit and play it a while before I decided to rewrap it. I’d only go down that road if I really loved the sound, vibe, and soul of the drums.

Sorry to wax so philosophically emotional.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Try hot water and Dawn with an old soft t-shirt rag or micro fiber. Or, try vinegar, or rubbing alcohol. And definitely try a Magic Eraser - those things work wonders!