Drumhead Live

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is anyone here watching this show online? It's really underwhelming. If this is the best we drummers can do, it's a bad sign. Just a bunch of banging on things. Even yesterday, there really wasn't much music to speak of. At one point, Gadd was playing rudiments with rubber tipped sticks, on a piece of wood. I mean, 20 minutes of Gadd playing rudiments??? And even though it's supposed to be a live event, plenty of the performances were prerecorded.

Granted, I haven't watched all of it. There have been some better bits, like with Gadd and his band. Most of it has been drummers playing solo, and trying to play as fast as they can. Yawn.

https://live.champion.biz/

On top of that, there are plenty of "advertisements" and "commercial breaks" along the way.

**** UPDATE *****

Simon Phillips' band is smokin'!

Last edited:

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think you need to watch more of it. The Peter Erskine segment was sublime.

I though it was very well photographed, performed and edited. The sound was great too. Johnathan Mover has raised the bar considerably, IMHO.

Just finished part 2. The Clayton Cameron segment alone - whew!

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you know how to access yesterday's recording on demand? I see no way to do it.

**** NEVER MIND....I FOUND IT....

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Okay, I take it back (some of it). Lots of great band performances, interspersed with plenty of wanking on the drums and pots and pans.

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched a good deal of Saturday "live" and some of yesterday. I'll go back and watch what I missed.

I agree that Jonathan did a fabulous job producing a drum event during a pandemic. It looked and sounded great to my eyes and ears. I believe everyone was pre-taped, but so what.

I thought Gary Husband in particular (who's always amazing) tore the roof off! Some wonderful and very ferocious playing. His name needs to be mentioned more when you talk about really great and really musical drummers. I thought everyone was great.

It was an ambitious undertaking by Jonathan and I say kudos to him. A pretty diverse lineup over the two days. He had something for everyone.

The days of manufacturers underwriting 100% of these festivals like we did for Modern Drummer and PASIC for all those years are long gone. It's an expensive proposition to produce a festival and the ticket price was very reasonable. There were a few ads that sponsors bought, which was necessary to help underwrite it.

I'm old school and prefer to be in the same room as the performance rather than watch it from a computer screen, but these are strange times.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm old school and prefer to be in the same room as the performance rather than watch it from a computer screen, but these are strange times.
I think that's what bugs me the most. If I'm not in the same venue, I'm just watching a video clip. It's better than nothing, but not a substitute. Hopefully the funds make it worth it for the participants.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think that's what bugs me the most. If I'm not in the same venue, I'm just watching a video clip. It's better than nothing, but not a substitute. Hopefully the funds make it worth it for the participants.
- This was vastly superior to anything else I've seen in the genre. Compare this to some other presentations made available on line recently. This was not a Zoom and duct tape operation. Camera angles, lighting, sound quality were all first rate - and very few, if any, went on too long.

Last edited:

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Surprise genius duo: Butch Norton and Michael Jerome. They should take that to PASIC (which I "attended" last weekend). Surprise genius duo #2: Clayton Cameron and Jason Sutter. I had no idea what they'd do, but when I hear the name Clayton Cameron, I expect to enjoy top-flight brushes. I thought, "Jason Sutter, he's a rocker dude. A-list, admittedly, but he doesn't even play in bands I like. What's rocker dude gonna do with Clayton Cameron?" Answer: plenty, and I got schooled, big-time. Let's just say Jason's been practicing his brushes. This is another one that would be good at PASIC. They were brilliant.
I dug Gadd with his band, and Simon Phillips is fantastic, very musical in a style that sometimes isn't. Super fine jazz from Peter Erskine, depths of sensitivity, swing, texture, and color.
It's the best we can do for now, folks. I subscribe to Drumhead (recommended), and Mover did a great job with this. I mostly didn't mind the ads - hey, it's not like they were for cell phone service or car insurance or something. They were drum-related!

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, that sucks. Looks like I can't view the performances anymore. I don't recall any mention that the on-demand stuff would expire. This really blows.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Clayton Cameron and Jason Sutter. I had no idea what they'd do, but when I hear the name Clayton Cameron, I expect to enjoy top-flight brushes. I thought, "Jason Sutter, he's a rocker dude. A-list, admittedly, but he doesn't even play in bands I like. What's rocker dude gonna do with Clayton Cameron?" Answer: plenty, and I got schooled, big-time. Let's just say Jason's been practicing his brushes.