header.nohb.html

DrumHead magazine subscribing: Beware! *** update posted below ***

stick2it

Reaction score
DFO friends -- Beware of paying for a subscription to DrumHead magazine. In July I paid for a 1-year Print + Digital subscription to the magazine on its online site. I never received a print issue of this magazine (I'm in the US), nor did I ever receive receipt of my subscription payment - a first for an online vendor, in my experience. I emailed several times asking for receipt of payment and for a date when I might expect to see a print issue, but I get vague answers and excuses. My email address is not recognized by their online system, so there is no way for me to access my account or the digital content online. I was never provided a way otherwise to access these. They just took my money; my credit card statement shows the charge. (They have a Facebook page with some recent but limited content that suggests they are still active -- i.e., accepting payment for nothing). At least this was my experience. I've submitted a request to investigate to my credit card company. Beware!

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I hope there's no trouble. I am a longtime subscriber and just received the latest issue in the mail. Steve Gadd's on the cover.

Rock Salad

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it took four or six months before the first issue arrived when I first subscribed. You are correct, it is impossible to contact them. But I hope you find an issue in your mailbox one day (soon?)

GretschMan61

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I recently renewed and received the Steve Gadd issue as well . At least Drumhead will still ship to Canada unlike Modern Drummer .

paulwells73

Reaction score
I’ve received the most recent issues as well. I was also able to update my mailing address after we moved in July, so things still seem to be active and running relatively smoothly.

Reactions: egw

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I called the number listed in the masthead, and they usually get back to me or email back. Sometimes takes a couple of days.

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Reaction score
I haven't had any issues.

Might be a one-off problem, but the situation and future of all magazines looks grim. They seem to be running on fumes.

stick2it

Reaction score
[ U P D A T E ]

After more email exchanges with Drumhead -- having not received any issues -- I received an envelope packed from them with 6-8 recent issues. It was the first I've seen of the magazine, ever,. The issues I received were printed on decent paper and look like they may be informative/useful/inspiring. But it took quite a bit to get this from them, and I did have to complete some online forms for my subscription as if I had never entered my mailing information to them initially when I first completed the online subscription. Won't renew.

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't had any issues.

Might be a one-off problem, but the situation and future of all magazines looks grim. They seem to be running on fumes.
They can do it. My Musicians Union Local and International mags arrive timely, as does PAS Percussive Notes. My Sunday New York Times in print? Never misses a beat. I'm sure print New Yorker and The Atlantic subscribers are getting theirs.

Where we would probably agree is that it's not as easy to make a lot of money in print media as it has been. This applies, I think, to Drumhead which, though I like it, has always been more of a shoestring operation. Modern Drummer is another animal. There, you've got a guy who has no respect for print, good journalism, a magazine's history, or it's legacy subscribers, and who really wants to run a social media account about drumming.

Note: edited

Last edited:

silentsky

Reaction score
Does anyone know what's up with Drumhead? I've been a subscriber for years and have always enjoyed it. The last issue I received was the Steve Gadd issue from Sep/Oct 2021. From looking at their website, they haven't published another issue since. Maybe another casualty of COVID and/or the supply chain crisis?

RBagg454

Reaction score
They can do it. My Musicians Union Local and International mags arrive timely, as does PAS Percussive Notes. My Sunday New York Times in print? Never misses a beat. I'm sure print New Yorker and The Atlantic subscribers are getting theirs.

Where we would probably agree is that it's not as easy to make a lot of money in print media as it has been. This applies, I think, to Drumhead which, though I like it, has always been more of a shoestring operation. Modern Drummer is another animal. There, you've got a guy who has no respect for print, good journalism, a magazine's history, or it's legacy subscribers, and who really wants to run a social media account about drumming.

Note: edited
I keep getting ads for Modern Drummer. What is the word...are they putting out print issues? Is it worth it? Opinions wanted.

nitro bengal

Reaction score
Does anyone know what's up with Drumhead? I've been a subscriber for years and have always enjoyed it. The last issue I received was the Steve Gadd issue from Sep/Oct 2021. From looking at their website, they haven't published another issue since. Maybe another casualty of COVID and/or the supply chain crisis?
Same here. To say I am less than impressed with them would be an understatement.

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geez you guys got ANY magazines in the past 2 years? wow.

MD? "Hello, MD, what's up with my subscription?" as the Beatles said..."No Reply"

Just sub in Drumhead, Drum, Rhythm whatever....everyone took my money. No one ever replies. Like zero. Nada.

Like many things, my days of drum magazines are over.

ppfd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yep, was at books a million recently, all guitar, keyboards and music mags.
No drums

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems they only exist now to charge you to read back issues online.
Last MD communication I got was "It's too expensive to do mail-paper subscriptions but if you subscribe to our digital delux yadyada it can be included..." I think. I passed on it - the few issues of MD I saw after DF took over were lame - few pages, and lots of reprints marketed as 'vintage retrospective' ( = no new articles or staff to write them).