DRUMHEAD MANIA

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ooooof! That's a lot of drum heads!

I think eventually, it's probably best to settle on one head and one company that speaks to you and just sounds the best to you, or you'll keep driving yourself crazy, like you did in this video! It's way cheaper to!

I've recently settled on Evans Calftones. I really like the warm sound, and the feel and look of them. But I won't try and take the logo off!!! :icon_e_surprised:

tkillian

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im a remo coated ambassador convert.

The coated Ambassadors on my Slingerlands are never coming off.

I am looking forward to how they will age with my drums and am guessing my kit will sound better and better as they meld and become one .

This process/experiment was FUN..

and pleasant but expensive distraction from the stress of covid.

I know some people who gained 10-15 pounds during covid. I stayed the same weight and gained some drum heads.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks for the mention and here's the truth---the heads you "messed" removing the logos? Charge Extra for those....

m_anderson

Reaction score
Agree. I used coated Ambassadors on my Slingerland kit for years, top and bottom with coated Emperors on bass drum. If I ever pull the old kit out and use it again, I will definitely use the same heads. I always thought they have an excellent sound for all genres of music, meaning I could play any type of gig with that setup and it works.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even though I have used and will continue to use heads other than Remo Coated Ambassadors, I will say that any drum that doesn't sound good with them is beyond hope.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Like I've said before and will say again, head choices are all matter of the types of gigs/sessions you play. Ambassadors (and any standard 1-ply from the other brands) are the middle ground, in my opinion, for all types of playing. They're the most versatile, no question.

If you're playing the heavy rock stuff with 2B sticks like I sometimes do, Ambassadors will be pitted (or torn!) by the end of the gig. I have to run Emperor batters at the minimum, and sometimes I'll run Pinstripes if I'm on tour and the audio engineer as good. Plus, Ambassadors won't give me the "thud" I want from my toms.

If you're playing light brushes and 7A sticks in a bebop trio and quartet, like I sometimes do, the Ambassadors might not be as sensitive and "ringy" as you'd need. I like the bounce and feel of Fiberskyns, and I usually run a coated Diplomat on the snare for my brush work.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im a remo coated ambassador convert.

I am looking forward to how they will age with my drums and am guessing my kit will sound better and better as they meld and become one .

This process/experiment was FUN..

and pleasant but expensive distraction from the stress of covid.

I know some people who gained 10-15 pounds during covid. I stayed the same weight and gained some drum heads.
Tom! You seriously need to try natural skin on those Slingerlands. You’ll find it difficult to go back to Mylar!

fitzsy

Reaction score
Coated ambassador only and forever,
Other than for bass drum on back beat music when I like some muffling.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am going to be putting most all of these up for sale.

Just sayin'

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Over the years I have bought used heads from friends in large lots for 1 dollar a head or so. They always teased me for being cheap, but heads are expensive to just buy and find out this sound is not for me. A used head can give you the general character so you can make up your mind and then get a fresh set once you have tried a bunch out. You can always find used heads on CL for cheap.

I think ambassadors on any drum should be your starting baseline to compare others.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
True but except for a few these are new heads. And my guess is you wont find the heads I have on any Craigslist, Reverb or e-bay.

The J1s, Skyntones, suedes, evans 56 and renaissance are rarely found in whole sets like this.

I bought them this summer, put them on my drums once. Never gigged them. Took them off and made this video.

I have no clue how much money I am going to/willing to lose.

:p

No way am I going to sell heads with no stick marks for $1.00

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree and not making any comparison or monetary conclusions. The heads I was getting had been well used, not anywhere near as clean as what your using and a dollar may have been too much for some of em. Old Sonor exhibits some of the same issues you found with the Aquarians and your Slingies. Some heads like the 360 stuff binds in the rim, not good. Other heads are too deep in the collar or the flesh hoop is too thick. Your also correct they were much more run of the mill lines.

Attachments

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have come back to Remo heads after a long divorce . I stopped using Remo heads when they first went to the pie logo and were having all sorts of quality issues .
I have discovered I missed the feel of Reno heads , they way the stick kind of digs into it . The coated Ambassador over clear Ambassadors is the litmus test of heads when I decide on a kit . If a kit sounds good with those heads on it , you know it is a good kit .

I have tried all types of calf replacement type heads and I still prefer coated Ambassadors for brush work .

I will occasionally use coated Ambassarors on rack Toms with coated Emperors on floor Toms and they work well together .