Drummer’s Heat Exhaustion Stops 5 Seconds of Summer Concert

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Especially notable for a 27-year-old drummer to be hospitalized from the heat when there’s plenty of drummers in their 60s and 70s playing these same amphitheaters.

Hydrate Don’t Die-Drate. Think of VB when you repeat that!

From Rolling Stone:

5 Seconds of Summer’s Ashton Irwin Hospitalized With ‘Heat Exhaustion’ During Show​

5 Seconds of Summer drummer Ashton Irwin was hospitalized after the band was forced to cut its Houston concert short on Sunday, June 26.

In a note shared on Instagram Stories, 5SOS said, “Upon experiencing physical symptoms, Ashton was taken to a local hospital for tests and medical review. As a result, it was advised [that] Ashton had experienced extreme heat exhaustion. Thankfully and most importantly, he is feeling ok and recovering very well.” (A rep for 5SOS declined to comment further.)

5 Seconds of Summer were well into their concert when the band left the stage, and someone reportedly came out and told the crowd the group was taking a break. Not long after, per video, someone returned to the stage to deliver the news that the show was over, but they told fans to hold onto their tickets.

In their Instagram note, 5SOS added, “We apologize to all the fans in attendance for the show being cut short. Ticketholders please check your emails, you will be updated directly as soon as we have more information.”

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Honestly, rocking out in the heat can be ABSOLUTELY GRUELING.

This weekend the area where we played in had a pretty intense heatwave (probably nothing like Houston heat, but flirting with 100 degrees with high humidity is pretty bad for us cold blooded northerners). As soon as 2 songs in the set, I had trouble keeping the tempos up on our usually high-energy cajun-country-rock tunes. I must have gulped about a gallon of water before even halfway through the set. And I did sweat so darn much that I didn't even have to "go" before long long after the concert. I'm still relatively young, I eat well, keep slim and fit, and it still took me everything I had to get through it.
To my DFO brethren who are out there touring for most of the summer, be cautious, take care of yourselves, stay hydrated...

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has been just brutally hot in Texas this season. We caught a break today in Dallas and only hit the mid 90s, so I mowed my grass for the first time in 3 weeks. Everything is just scorched 2 months early.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
The summer heat/humidity are no joke. I had a couple close calls on tour outside in Florida. One of my bandmates almost went down at an outdoor gig in NC. It creeps up on you fast. I always take E-Fuel (made for athletes) with me now, which has helped a lot...much more than Gatorade did.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I'm thankful it's not humid here. I have no problem mowing the lawn in 110 heat as long as I'm wearing a cooling UPF shirt and wide brim hat. Heck, I've done work in our attic in June/July and it's not too bad. For gigs I make sure we have some type of cover because I'm not about to bake in the direct sun. I have two Honeywell fans and stay hydrated and that's usually enough with the shade. Of course, this time of year we get our monsoons so if it's in the afternoon it's still hot and we get some humidity, though not to the levels of Houston and the southeast, and if it's bad enough the outdoor gigs get cancelled anyway. We did get cancelled once because it hit 120 and no one (audience and band) wanted to be on the patio. But that humidity is no joke. Hard to stay cool if your sweat doesn't evaporate.

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
I have an outdoor gig next week, first one in a long time. I will hydrate, hydrate and hydrate some more!

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve played some brutal summer gigs in the past, and I just don’t do it anymore. Fortunately I’m old enough that everyone else in the bands I play in are in agreement about only doing indoor shows in the middle of summer.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m def more exhausted playing outdoors then indoors. I make sure to bring two very large water bottles and a Stanley blower fan. Hydration is key!!!!

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't enjoy being in Houston much less playing outdoors there. If there were a swamp on the Sun, it could give Houston a run for its money. I'm only several hours away and have no idea how people can live in that humidity.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few years ago (2016 or 2017?) I had a weekend with three outdoor gigs in two days over a particularly hot weekend. I "thought" that I was hydrating enough, I was clearly wrong.

We played an outdoor gig about sixty miles from home Friday night, by the time I dropped my (roadie) nephew Johnny off and got home it was after four AM. I picked him back up around eleven AM and we headed to the afternoon gig. Besides my drum gear, we hauled the PA and a good bit of our lighting in my van.

It was one of those humid days that felt like it was going to rain, but never did. For the sake of the gig and gear I didn't want it to rain, but it was tough. I was struggling by the time that we finished playing, tore down, packed up, and headed to gig three.

I let Johnny do most of the hauling and setup at the third gig, it was over an hour north of the city. We played great, and I don't know how. We were all beat and running on adrenaline by this point. We unloaded at my home at four AM, and I drove Johnny home again. (He lives almost forty minutes south of me and does not drive.)

When I finally dragged myself into my house it was about five-thirty in the morning, the birds were chirping. I went into our home office to drop some things on our desk before I went to bed. I apparently passed out and bounced off of our antique partner desk, cracking the glass overlay. My wife heard the crash and found me on the floor. She revived me and drove me to the emergency room ten minutes from our house.

I was treated for heat exhaustion, given IV fluids and Gatorade. One of the nurses said that I was the second drummer that they treated in the same condition that morning. I was given a lecture on the stupidity of trying to cover three gigs in two days with my history of a heart of attack and several strokes.

Heat exhaustion is no joke. Electrolytes are your friend.

Last edited:

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
When I was touring with a really loud rock band doing big hot outdoor stages, I brought coconut water concentrate powder with me on tour. I can't really stand the taste of Gatorade/etc type of stuff, but it was great to be able to grab a hospitality bottle of water from the green room and turn it into something to replace electrolytes faster without having to run to the convenience store or whatever.

For me, the dangerous thing in the summer, especially where it's dry, is that I can be totally dry and still losing water like crazy. I won't visibly break a sweat, but I'll drink half a gallon in a 45 minute set and still be behind.