Drummer autographs

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not an autograph guy. Never, ever would ask for one. But I have one that came on a a rare snare, from a well known drummer's collection, that was autographed prior to my receiving it.
75 Anniversary.jpg

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
One of my favorite drummers!
Signed this poster for me at the same time as this floor tom head. I bought a set of Superstars but couldn’t take them home until after his clinic.
The photo of the two of us was 40 years later at Jazz Alley in Seattle.
Also Tito Puente and Marky Ramone. View attachment 497943 View attachment 497944 View attachment 497945

Cool, he was obviously more interested in meeting you than he was me. Here's his signature on my Billy's Best Hits cassette inlay from a masterclass in Australia in the nineties.

IMG_0293.JPG

IBitePrettyHard

Reaction score
I have drumheads signed by these drummers off the top of my head, mostly from attending their drum clinics in the 90s and early 2000s...

Jabo Starks & Clyde Stubblefield
Virgil Donati
Kenny Aronoff
Louie Bellson
Gregg Bissonette
Will Calhoun
Lenny Castro
Steve Smith
Nigel Olsson
Joel Rosenblatt
Max Weinberg
Dennis Chambers

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last autograph I got was from Will Kennedy in about 1995, and immediately afterward I felt really weird about it. Never thought to get another one since.

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not an autograph guy either. I did get Buddy Rich's when I saw him walking around Marineland, CA., where he was performing. I also got one from Dino Danelli at the old Aquarius Theater, Los Angeles. I kept them safely in my wallet for years. One day I failed to empty my pockets when using the washing machine and, well.....:dontknow:

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was at Disneyland in the late 70's and was able to hear Buddy Rich and his band. During one intermission, I approached Buddy and asked for his autograph. All I had was a dollar bill! Buddy signed it and was very gracious!

My other autograph is from Marvin "Smitty" Smith, who happened to be at Professional Drum Shop during one of my visits there. This was around 2007 when Smitty was playing with the Tonight Show Band. Smitty autographed a Pearl catalog that was in the store and he was currently playing Pearl. A really nice guy...and great drummer!

-Mark

Attachments

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Butch Miles signed an old cracked Zildjian 8" splash and we had a great conversation, this was at a Count Basie band gig intermission. Very nice guy!
Chester Thompson at a endorsement signing at Frankfurt Music Messe.
Thomas Haake sent an autographed Sabian HH splash for my son's 18th birthday - long story why, but he's one of the nicest guys in the business!!

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Max Roach signed the back of my ticket as I saw him when I was waiting line for his concert. He was very nice. In high school in the 80's I got Louie Bellsons autograpgh as well as Alan Dawson, who signed my Modern Drummer with him on the cover. I also have a 2004 Ludwig prototype snare signed by Bun E. I don't typically go out hunting for autographs though. Louie and Alan were super nice guys to meet.

In all the years I have known Bun E, I don't think I have one picture or autograph that I asked for. I got great memories instead.

Dave in VA

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
HI everyone.....I have a Leedy "Autographs of the Stars" floor tom so I needed a drum case....So I created one. I'm not at my home right now but these are a few photos that I have with me.

Attachments

Last edited:

bbunks

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a bunch from when I worked in radio doing jazz programming years ago, mostly from interviews (Cobham, Lenny White, Alphonse Mouzon, Art Blakey, Jack DeJohnette, Max Roach, Herbie Hancock, Larry Coryell, Flora Purim, Gary Burton) and from attending shows and clinics (Roy Haynes, Jake Hanna, Bruce Hornsby’s “Range” era band, Steve Smith, Steve Ferrone, Akira Jimbo, Russ Miller) and from taking lessons (Kenny Aronoff, Rich Redmond, Jim Riley).

I also have my phone list from the late 70s, when I had a lot of artist and managers phone numbers: Teo Macero, Josef Zawinul, Gil Evans, Leo Konitz, Tony Williams, JJ Johnson, Ron Carter.

I had opportunities for more (Louie Bellson, early Pat Metheny Group), but I don’t remember why I didn’t ask. Would have been really easy.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Levon Helm

1. On a table napkin from his club in New Orleans - " Keep playin those blues bubba "

2. On a drumstick I filed flat on one side and took to the show .

They're in the house somewhere .

Torquey

Reaction score
Buddy Rich, who signed for me after a brief chat on his bus, Ginger Baker at a drum clinic before I realized that I could have potentially gotten my nose broken, Bill Bruford at a drum clinic at which he told amazing stories, Dennis Chambers at a drum clinic where while shaking his hand I actually said "Please Dennis, I need to be able to use this thing tomorrow" (referring to my now squished right hand), Terry Bozzio, who I saw at a couple of drum clinics, Cindy Blackman, who caused me to love Tony even more, Don Brewer, just as security was about to stop me, Marco Minnemann at a drum clinic, Steve Smith, who signed an 18" EAK Dark Crash.
BILL BRUFORD & ME 2 3 11-8-06 (2).jpg

GregR

Reaction score
I got Buddy to sign a $2.00 bill way back in the day when I snuck back stage at the Ontario Place forum. I knocked on the dressing room door at the El Mocambo when King Crimson was playing there and got Bruford's on a $1.00 bill - so Buddy's is worth twice as much! I have a number of Neil Peart autographs - here are a couple.

Attachments

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
Never felt comfortable getting any before, but I got some courage. It’s a small club, so it was easy to speak with them.
Maurines is a weekly stop for me now, and a lot of my drummer hero’s pass through.
Friday was Billy Hart, Saturday was Mike Clarke. 80, and 74 years old, and killin it.
They were both cool about it, so I guess I’ll keep it up as time goes on. I may need more drum heads
1620134174361.jpeg
1620134230247.jpeg
1620134262585.jpeg
1620134305344.jpeg

hmm92

Reaction score
I’ve gotten a few over the years.
I also have Liberty DeVito on his book @ a bongo head from a Brothers show at homes beach from way back.
My prize possession is the Ringo of course.
I was backstage at Westbury on LI and met Simon Kirk who knew the people I was with very well.
Funny since I’ve been w Simon a few times after that at Bad Co shows amd I never thought To get his.
Very cool when the next time you see the person they say hey Howie how’s it going.

It was Ringo wife’s birthday so he wasn’t coming out to see us. The cd was given to his manager that night and was signed in the last day of the tour in Germany and sent back to me via a friend who worked admin for the tour.

Vinyl and Carmine both very nice guys.
Carl Palmer was pleasant.
He actually comes out and signs things after the tribute shows he did.

Jason Bonham stick was given to me by his drum tech after a show as we were talking about his Paiste setup.

Living color they were hanging after a show at a smaller venue and signing things.

Marky Ramone was from a gig he did w his band. His guitarist was a good friend and band mate of mine who was playing w him.
I actually got up and played sedated w them w Marky singing.
Was cool playing Marky’s kit.

I have lots of fun stories and was very lucky to have friends in the business and or be in the right place at the right time.

Cash is not a drummer but an autograph worth having that was gotten at the show in Sweden when I was over there touring.
Amazing show.
Bottom line is don’t be afraid to ask, always carry a sharpie...

Attachments