Drummer Just like His Dad, Phil Collins

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Fantastic video ... thanks!
I agree ... I love his simple humble insight. What a cool kid. Refreshing.
Drag that he doesn't use the N&C snare anymore, but they will do what they do.
I LOVE those Holy China's. I picked up one and fell in love with it. Luckily, a member here traded me for another one. That allows me to have one on each of my setups. Freekin amazing china.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
wow...i found it difficult to watch...the hum on the audio and what you heard as humble I heard as ignorant....probably doesn't get asked often about his (father's) gear though....and hats off to him being able to play at the level required for the gig...and hanging with dad (not sarcasm...seriously)...I hope in the future it doesn't scar him if he doesn't wind up with other big acts.

gretschdrummer

Reaction score
wow...i found it difficult to watch...the hum on the audio and what you heard as humble I heard as ignorant....probably doesn't get asked often about his (father's) gear though....and hats off to him being able to play at the level required for the gig...and hanging with dad (not sarcasm...seriously)...I hope in the future it doesn't scar him if he doesn't wind up with other big acts.
In his defense remember he is 18 and in the spotlight

It came across to me that with all the sound guys and roadies around him take care of how sounds and he doesn’t concern himself of what he plays

Also I think I would do better to concentrate on my playing than on my gear

Just my 2 cents

gretschdrummer

Reaction score
Good for Nic. Everyone looks for a break somewhere and he's able to prove he deserves to be on that stage.
True
Many fathers refuse to have their sons have any part in their business lol

But seriously
Of course he got it because of his dad
But that’s what dads do....how many dads bring their kids into their own business?

all of us help out our kids and I’m certain his kid does a respectable job

Many examples:

Zak starky
Wolfgang van halen
Business and politics
Are filled with em

Last edited:

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good for him. He's doing an amazing job. I think he was 16 when he started touring with his Dad. What type of gigs were you doing at 16?

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
Good for him. He's doing an amazing job. I think he was 16 when he started touring with his Dad. What type of gigs were you doing at 16?
I wasn't gigging at 16...my dad was working 60 hour weeks and dad only played...the radio

Last edited:

bkny110

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You can be an excellent drummer without being a gear nerd. I thought he did a fantastic job. Humble, yes.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool guy. Awesome to hold such a gig (there is a difference between getting and, regardless of being the son..)

Not the best wrap job btw, that 18'' has two seams.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cool guy. Awesome to hold such a gig (there is a difference between getting and, regardless of being the son..)
Yes...I concur, he has to be a good player to keep the gig (and for dad to even think he could do it)...and I think growing up around gear and music he's probably not even all that jazzed about it because...its always been around him...I remember Roger Taylor (Queen) saying he collected guitars because everyone was willing to give him drums....i'm not dissing the guy or his talent...I just didn't like the interview (and stay off my grass)

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If he wasn't Phil Collins's kid, we'd never hear a thing about him. Totally different than Zak Starkey, who paid his dues despite who his father was.