Drummer Shoes

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
I posted this in the cymbal thread, but I thought it would get seen by more people here.
Hurry before the time runs out to get these.

They may at lest look good on the shelf.

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
I always find either running shoes or sock feet the best to play drums with....

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Purdy says wear thin hard-soled shoes, like cowboy boots.

Sorry Benard - not me!
I don't know about cowboy boots, but a hard leather sole is the only thing that works for me. It lets me slip my foot up and down on the footboard, whereas soft rubber soles make my foot stick to the footboard. It just works for my technique, which is not stomping, but all kinds of different approaches to the bass drum during a jazz gig. Just me; play what you like! :occasion5:

pwc1141

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I guess it's because I have little bass pedal technique but I find almost any shoes work for me and have played in shoes ranging from old running shoes to hiking boots. I play heel down and in jazz settings where the hi-hat is most important to me in terms of comfort zone. For preference though, a light weight slip on dress shoe for its leather sole.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
Redwing loafers, my favs have just been discontinued so I bought 2 more pairs, got 4 now.

edit: another pair, that I didn't pay for, arrived today, got 5 now...

Last edited:

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I prefer playing in cowboy boots or well worn sneakers (like that pair of Chucks you ought to throw out, or a pair of Vans after summer of brakeless BMX riding) for the same reason Ron likes hard leather soled shoes - I like being able to slide on the pedal. My "technique" for doubles and triples is stomping on the back part of the footboard, and then sliding my foot forward using the rebound from the initial stroke to create the next one(s), which doesn't work with grippy shoes.

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Any Vans with the soft waffle rubber bottoms are the best.
They're meant for being able to "feel" your skateboard, and it works great for BD pedals too.

Woody85

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not too picky about footwear when drumming. Last few gigs have either been in black dress shoes, slip on Vans, or my trusty Red Wing Heritage Iron Rangers.

HoorayGuy

Reaction score
I'm not too picky about footwear when drumming. Last few gigs have either been in black dress shoes, slip on Vans, or my trusty Red Wing Heritage Iron Rangers.
Yeah, I just started back up. I think a lot of things, including shoes, aren't going to matter much once I get a solid year under my belt. For instance, I have probably over 2 dozen different sticks I'm messing around with. I THINK I've narrowed it down to 4. lol Well, I'm guessing it's good to have a few different sticks for different situations anyway. I use light, medium, and heavy sticks, with nylon and wood tips.

p.s. Holy crap! Red Wing Heritage Iron Rangers = $329.99

On the one

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Any Vans with the soft waffle rubber bottoms are the best.
They're meant for being able to "feel" your skateboard, and it works great for BD pedals too.
I wear the same type of shoes. Either Vans, DCs, or Converses. Lately I have been playing in Pumas or Adidas Stan Smith style shoe.

Woody85

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I just started back up. I think a lot of things, including shoes, aren't going to matter much once I get a solid year under my belt. For instance, I have probably over 2 dozen different sticks I'm messing around with. I THINK I've narrowed it down to 4. lol Well, I'm guessing it's good to have a few different sticks for different situations anyway. I use light, medium, and heavy sticks, with nylon and wood tips.

p.s. Holy crap! Red Wing Heritage Iron Rangers = $329.99
Worth every penny. I'm hoping to get 20 years out of them (re-sole every 5 years or so). I like to buy less things but make them last.

HoorayGuy

Reaction score
Worth every penny. I'm hoping to get 20 years out of them (re-sole every 5 years or so). I like to buy less things but make them last.
I've been wearing Red Wings for almost 30 years. I normally get the Oxfords. They are what? $150.00 something like that? I get a 20% discount through the company I work for.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wear these. They feel great on the pedals. The sole is really thin, and the design is snug so you have very good control. Also good for the gym!

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score

Latest posts