Drummer we look up to and replicate

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So this has been in my mind for awhile now. Feel free to chime in. I see drummers on YouTube dedicating there drumming and channels to certain drummers to T I mean exact. Replicas of kits exact record and live version playing. Now to me it seems if you dedicate that much of a talent to worshipping another drummer do you truly find your own style? I myself am guilty of it in my younger years. What do you guys think.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never found myself trying to replicate any one drummer, I hear bits and pieces from a lot of influences and I focus on them, not the musician so much.

Back in my younger years I was heavily influenced by Lars and that heavy hitting and basic beat fill style is now haunting me later in life, I'm trying to ween myself from it and I am.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I never found myself trying to replicate any one drummer, I hear bits and pieces from a lot of influences and I focus on them, not the musician so much.

Back in my younger years I was heavily influenced by Lars and that heavy hitting and basic beat fill style is now haunting me later in life, I'm trying to ween myself from it and I am.
I agree completely. I love watching other drummers. I swear I learn something new from the most beginner drummer to legends.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Now you know what all the “tribute” band folks are up to these daze..;)
Seriously...doesn’t everyone do this to a certain extent? Some folks continue to imitate....covers/tributes, and some folks continue on their own drumming path.
There’s always something to learn and/or borrow from everyone irregardless of stature or ability.
bt

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there an example? I look at YouTube quite often and can't recall seeing someone who "replicated" a pro's drum kit and style.

Also, are all of us required to establish our own style? Would a band hire me for my unique style or competently playing a wide variety of material in a way that's familiar to listeners (and drives the band)?

I think most would agree that if you set out to master all 300 songs Ringo played on, you'd have most of the drumming vocabulary you need to play most classic rock songs.

You could do all the Ringo stuff without "worshipping" him, right?

Last edited:

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is there an example? I look at YouTube quite often and can't recall seeing someone who "replicated" a pro's drum kit and style.

Also, are all of us required to establish our own style? Would a band hire me for my unique style or competently playing a wide variety of material in a way that's familiar to listeners (and drives the band)?

I think most would agree that if you set out to master all 300 songs Ringo played on, you'd have most of the drumming vocabulary you need to play most classic rock songs.

You could do all the Ringo stuff without "worshipping" him, right?
There’s a couple that come to me a carter beauford one and a John bohnam one. I means it’s cool to see someone pick apart every aspect of of another drummer style but to dedicate there whole
Life is crazy.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gotta say these days the $$ is in the Tribute bands so its highly acceptable to emulate and replicate these famous guys and dolls. It gets kinda corny and all when it gets down to the hairstyles and outfits.....I mean I tried to do Sheila E but I just didn't look right in the mini and the pumps, my dogs are ginormous!

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I gotta say these days the $$ is in the Tribute bands so its highly acceptable to emulate and replicate these famous guys and dolls. It gets kinda corny and all when it gets down to the hairstyles and outfits.....I mean I tried to do Sheila E but I just didn't look right in the mini and the pumps, my dogs are ginormous!
Lol tribute bands make bank for sure

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I dont try to copy any one drummer. Like most here, I have a ton of varied interests. For my acoustic rock band backing 3 singers, I "strive" for tasteful grooves and fills in the spirit of Philip Gould (Level 42). Raise the bar high I say and even if (when) you dont hit it, you'll still play better.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Phil Collins, but with a better personal life. Love the way he plays the hats. And his ride cymbal sound is like no other. Love his ode to Motown drum fills.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I did this with so many different guys in my early years. First Buddy, I must have spent months learning to cop his solo on Time Being from Rich In London. Billy Cobham, I did it with his solo albums copping note for note the opening solo on Shabazz and then A Funky Thide of Sings. Brufords solo on Perpetual Change on Yessongs. Max Roach on Big Sid & Billy The Kidd. Lots of stuff. But after about 10 years that sort of went away. Oh I still had my favorites and idolized certain drummers, but stopped trying to replicate them and their sound choice of notes. Now after 50 years, I seriously don’t care one iota. If the music is good, I can dig it. If it isn’t, I can’t.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had to pick one, I'd strive to play like Bohnam for rock and Elvin for Jazz. But in reality, pretty much every drummer I see, I am looking for something or listening for something, whether they're a pro or amateur, concert, or lounge act, and everywhere in between.....

And I pity the fool who has me on the receiving end of that sentiment, though!

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
So this has been in my mind for awhile now. Feel free to chime in. I see drummers on YouTube dedicating there drumming and channels to certain drummers to T I mean exact. Replicas of kits exact record and live version playing. Now to me it seems if you dedicate that much of a talent to worshipping another drummer do you truly find your own style? I myself am guilty of it in my younger years. What do you guys think.
- We learned to speak by emulating those who raised us. As we got out into the world, we couldn't just go around replicating what we heard at home; we had to apply it in context. Lots of times we had to think for ourselves and make choices that fit our circumstances. The same applies to music, no?

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
- We learned to speak by emulating those who raised us. As we got out into the world, we couldn't just go around replicating what we heard at home; we had to apply it in context. Lots of times we had to think for ourselves and make choices that fit our circumstances. The same applies to music, no?
Well ya but that’s not what I’m asking there’s a huge difference. I see drummers that literally to any copy someone else. So how do you make your own style if you’re constantly idealizing someone else? I mean everything from set up, play, everything. You lose your identity. Have you ever seen the movie rockstar with mark wahlberg?

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well ya but that’s not what I’m asking there’s a huge difference. I see drummers that literally to any copy someone else. So how do you make your own style if you’re constantly idealizing someone else? I mean everything from set up, play, everything. You lose your identity. Have you ever seen the movie rockstar with mark wahlberg?
Perhaps you should reread what I wrote.

That same principle applies. You listen to the questions the music poses and give it what it needs. Your heroes did it one way. If you do what they did here it may not work. So you might have to think of something else.

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I tried to do Sheila E but I just didn't look right in the mini and the pumps, my dogs are ginormous!
That's not what I heard JP! Don't sell yourself short. Many of us here including me would pay a $30 cover to see that...once....more if you were playing your 6.5 NYC School Acro. A night to remember.

speady1

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I respect the guys that can play just like drumming royalty. It helps me understand some of those parts in a deeper way. Their dedication is respectable, but sadly, it's most likely for profit from clicks and views...For me personally, I grew up playing a wide variety of genres and emulating a bunch of different drummers. Tommy Lee, Bonham, Ringo, Phil Rudd, Artimus Pyle, Butch Trucks, the list goes on and on. The result is that I have what I hope is my own style and personality as a drummer. I do what I do and I don't try to do what I can't behind the kit. I'm very honest about my abilities and THAT is what gets you hired. I tell everybody that asks that I'm not a chop machine and if they want a "lead" drummer with lots of flash and speed, I'm not your guy. If you want a guy that has good time, the ability to drive a song, and doesn't overplay, I can do that.

Getting back to the OP's question, I think if you want to make money on YouTube, being a replica of Neil, Bonham, Ringo, etc. is a great thing. If you want to play in a band (covers or original) you need to be able to cover lots of ground with your own personality as a drummer. Being a clone won't help you there, IMO. As always, your mileage may vary.

dyland

Reaction score
For a while I was so obsessed with Purdie and The Royal Scam that I developed this tendency to play everything behind the beat. Then I started playing with a band who played a lot of worldbeat/afrobeat material and I had to break that habit QUICK.

I think it's good to obsess over guys, steal their licks, and the move on to the next one. Rinse and repeat for decades until, eventually, the amalgamation of all the attempted ripoffs produces a sound which can be defined as "you".