Drummers and Brushes

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
There have been many drummers who have been known for their technique, when playing with brushes. When Clayton Cameron was with Tony Bennett, he was known as "King of the Brushes". Back in "the day", I used to enjoy watching a much underrated drummer, Johnny Klein, Lawrence Welk's main timekeeper (yes, Lawrence Welk!). He would snap the wires around the snare and make it SING, behind his gold sparkle Ludwigs! Do you have a favorite brush man? I'd like to hear about it.
Johnny Klein.png

kdgrissom

Reaction score
The well known players have been well documented here. Given that, I'll put forward Larry Bunker who always blows me away.

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
Larry Bunker also knew his way around the vibraphone. Speaking of...one of Gary Burton's early albums, "The Time Machine", featured Larry on drums. Very creative stuff on that album!

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Some of my favorite brush recordings:
Kenny Clarke, check the even eights swish pattern!

Philly Joe Jones
Billy Boy obviously, but also other Miles ballads/medium tunes:

Joe Morello

Paul Motian

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I play a lot of brush-only gigs, so have some favorites. In no particular order: Papa Jo Jones who invented both hi-hat and brush vocabularies. My major influences are: John Poole, Denzil Best, Vernell Fournier, Ed Thigpen, Jeff Hamilton and Joe Morello. It was Morello's brushwork on Tangerine that inspired me to learn brushes.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
As a postscript to my previous post, a lot of grooves can be done with either brushes or sticks. Example: brushes

Sticks:

And for blues players here brushes work on a lot of songs. Frew Below used them when recording Little Walter's My Babe, which is why I use them when covering that song:

And just about anything that Jimmy Reed did can be backed with brushes:

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Second ... or third? Joe Morello.
I could listen to that guy play with his SpaghettiOs. He’s such a doggone master.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Ed Thigpen.

First jazz drummer I ever listened to, and his book "Talking Drums" was instrumental in getting me started on brushes (way back in the days before the internet).

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I really like Diana Krall, and Jeff Hamitlon does some exceptional Brush work on a number of her tunes. He is so tasteful in what he plays sometimes I am mezmorized listening to him.

Last edited:

marc3k

Reaction score
The well known players have been well documented here. Given that, I'll put forward Larry Bunker who always blows me away.

Me too! I find his playing just amazing! I watched this Jazz625 concert so many times and I'm always impressed by Larry Bunker: