Drummers and Brushes

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sonny Payne!
That was great. In the beginning you can see the circles on each quarter note, what Charlie Persip in the bursh dvd calls the "dog swimming". In the solo, brushes on hi-hat is already something, then one-handed 16th notes, and brush twirling! That up/down hi-hat playing looks like very soft bristles, like on Ludwig brushes.

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My absolute two favorite brush players are Jerry Granelli and the oft-mentioned Ed Thigpen.

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
I learned brush playing from Ed Thigpen. But to me, the greatest living, working brush player is without a doubt Jeff Hamilton.

Rick Jones1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jason Sutter is certainly among the new breed of players expanding the art of brushes

I agree, and in this lesson he breaks it down the different type of brush strokes. Definitely worth watching if your interested in learning how to play with brushes.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I agree, and in this lesson he breaks it down the different type of brush strokes. Definitely worth watching if your interested in learning how to play with brushes.
And this guy. He is important, IMHO, not because he will ever make it to the pantheon of jazz greats, but because of the opposite reason. He is showing how to apply brushes to music other than jazz, and equally importantly, he shows how to effectively play brushes with matched grip. Yeah, Cozy Cole a three quarters of a century or longer before him was playing brushes (and sticks) match grip, but at the time nobody paid much attention. Back to topic: this video is a taste of what Alexandru-Zorn's commercial material is and if ever there was material to rekindle the art of brush playing outside of jazz, his is it.

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ck out Ari Hoenig
Not just brushes, but everything he does is kinda unique.