Drummers That Didn’t Switch Endorsements

MacDaddy

Reaction score
I don’t believe that Fishman has ever been an endorser of any brand, he’s played: Eames, Ayotte, Noble and Cooley, Gretsch and looks like Tama Star currently, along with a Ludwig snare usually. He mixes these drums up all the time too, for a long time he played the N&C Tom’s with Gretsch bass drum.
The same goes for his cymbals - mix of Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, Istanbul and Wuhan.
I can appreciate that. He strikes me as a guy who goes his own way… I’m just going by my time as an Ayotte endorser when these gentleman were listed as endorsers on the website as well. I wouldn’t take it as gospel though! Even then he was mixing the Ayottes with the Eames stuff.

Reactions: Ang

HalldorL

DFO Master
Reaction score
As its been pointed out, Stewart Copeland played Ludwig drums and Zildjian cymbals on the first 2-3 Police records,
According to Copeland himself in Joe Bergaminis book he used Tama from the very beginning of The Police. Imperialstars on the first two albums; Outlandos... and Regatta..., Superstars on the third; Zenyatta... and then back to Imperialstars on the last two,; Ghost.. and Synchronicity. No Ludwigs after Curved Air. He started endorsing Paiste after the third album. "The Snare" appears first on the Zenyatta tour and on Ghost in the Machine album.

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to Copeland himself in Joe Bergaminis book he used Tama from the very beginning of The Police. Imperialstars on the first two albums; Outlandos... and Regatta..., Superstars on the third; Zenyatta... and then back to Imperialstars on the last two,; Ghost.. and Synchronicity. No Ludwigs after Curved Air. He started endorsing Paiste after the third album. "The Snare" appears first on the Zenyatta tour and on Ghost in the Machine album.
Thanks for clarifying Ludwig. I remember the Roxanne video and him playing Ludwig, so I assumed incorrectly.

Coolvan

Reaction score
Bruford and Tama. Maybe Paiste too.
Bill played Premier and Ludwig with Yes and first time through KC. Then he played Simmons exclusively for a few years.. then Tama for the past 25 or so. But he has ALWAYS played and endorsed Paiste.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I heard someone mention Ringo, but didn't he play Yamaha for a time in the 80s?

Anyway, I wonder why some people stay with one company for seemingly their whole career, while others constantly jump. Wouldn't that actually be more difficult?

Besides, when AVH had his rototom kit, I think the only thing that was Ludwig was some of the hardware and the floor tom!

Dan

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Charlie never endorsed a company and played whatever he wanted to play and liked playing.
This is true, though he did officially endorse Vic Firth. And while he never signed an endorsement agreement with Gretsch, he allowed them to use his name and likeness and considered himself a "Gretsch player" like many of his jazz heroes.

Ringo never signed an endorsement agreement with Ludwig or Zildjian (cymbals) though he uses them. He is officially a Zildjian Drumstick endorser. He played Yamaha drums on Paul McCartney's "Take It Away" video in 1982 and I'm guessing it had more to do with Steve Gadd being alongside him. They brought drums for Ringo when they brought Steve's drums for the video. He was never a Yamaha endorser.

Paistekid

Reaction score
I can only think of a few guys that have been with the same drum, cymbal, percussion, drumhead companies etc., since the beginning of their careers.

Steve Smith
Steve Gadd
Larry Mullen Jr.
Simon Phillips
Lars Ulrich

Anyone else?
929421BB-0C02-44E1-BA3B-ECEAD7C08BAE.jpeg

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is true, though he did officially endorse Vic Firth. And while he never signed an endorsement agreement with Gretsch, he allowed them to use his name and likeness and considered himself a "Gretsch player" like many of his jazz heroes.

Ringo never signed an endorsement agreement with Ludwig or Zildjian (cymbals) though he uses them. He is officially a Zildjian Drumstick endorser. He played Yamaha drums on Paul McCartney's "Take It Away" video in 1982 and I'm guessing it had more to do with Steve Gadd being alongside him. They brought drums for Ringo when they brought Steve's drums for the video. He was never a Yamaha endorser.

He definitely was seen with Yamaha again, this time in a film, "Give My Regards To Broad Street", which is probably why I thought there was some synergy there for a while. The movie bombed but videos were shown on MTV and there were hit singles.

Dan
MV5BNzY1YWJkYjMtYjIzOC00OTEwLTgxMTktMTYyMDNiMjlhN2EzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTE0Nzk5NzM4._V1_.jpg