Drummers that used bigger cymbals/drums live but smaller in the studio.

Ludwig26

Reaction score
Apart from these aforementioned drummers: Simon Kirke (Bad Company/Free),
Used 18" Gretsch kick drum&13&14" toms in the studio on ALL of Bad Company's studio albums,
But live used:live Ludwig 26 15&20,
Ian Paice : live -Ludwig 26 16 18 20,
Later on augmented with 6-15 concert toms,
In the studio: 22" 16 18 20,
SO...... who else used bigger live/smaller studio apart from these drummers?.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have used a 22" bass drum in the studio, but I typically play with a 20" bass live. I do it simply because the smaller bass takes up less space in my car, is easier to position my rack tom, and I'm used to it. I do love the low end thump of bigger bass drums.

spelman

Reaction score
I don't think Randy Castillo used this... behemoth in the studio with Ozzy.
Randy Castillo.jpg

But he used ALL of it live, during his solo:

stevil

Reaction score
I remember an interview with Dale Crover where he said he often used a smaller bass drum in the studio.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good post, though I think the info about Simon Kirke's studio setup is a bit off. Here's a MD interview from 1983:

MD: You said that when Bad Company was formed, you decided to change your kit.

SK: Yes. When Bad Company started, I decided I wanted bigger drums. I had been using a 22″ bass drum with 13″ and 16″ tom toms, so I moved up a few inches to a 26″ bass drum with 10x14 and 20x18 tom-toms.

MD: What make were they?

SK: Ludwig. I had an endorsement with Ludwig, but now my contract has run out. I can say that they were very good drums, but my favorite make is Gretsch. I’ve got some which I use in the studio. Practically all the Bad Company albums were done on a Gretsch kit; a small kit because you don’t need big drums for recording.

MD: How small?

SK: A 22″ bass drum, 13″ tom, and 14x14 floor tom. With the recording facilities these days, you just don’t need a big kit. The only concession I make in the studio is to take off the front head for the engineer’s peace of mind. When I was first told to do it, I told them to go and stuff themselves, but I realized soon afterwards that it was necessary to get the microphone inside the bass drum, facing the batter head.

bonzo60

Reaction score
Ian Paice kit owned by Paolo Sburlati. Great photos of Ian in action and the kit itself and some bio info. 10x16 tom on a snare stand. I don't think that snare stand could have held a larger drum.
Paolo had a book called Ludwig: Yesterday and Today. Worth tracking down but I recall Bun stating that the binding left a lot to be desired.
http://www.ludwigdrummer.com/Articles/Mini Article on Ian Paice Drums/Ian Paices Drums Mini Article.htm