Drummers that you like but don't get enough credit ?

Reaction score
Stanley Randolph
Randy Cook
Dave Langguth
Craig Blundell

Last edited:

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tris Imboden
Bobby Columby
Russ Kunkel
Alphonse Mouzon
Rayford Griffen
Mike Clark
Mark Craney

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ray Charles drummer, Milt Turner....just close your eyes and listen to "What'd I say" ....

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
ooops sr! Yes idk I’m a younger guy but I don’t know anyone referencing him amongst the jazz greats and his touch is amazing. Love him but no one ever seems to talk about him
He’s kind of a hybrid between traditional straight ahead jazz and jazz funk fusion.

Here’s a short bio:

Here’s an example of Harvey Mason playing some straight ahead jazz with an all star band:

Last edited:

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
Man, I could have never imagined all the players listed. Many I never knew. Thanks to all that chimed in. I'll be looking at stuff for the next YEAR! Your all the best. Thanks again. When I started this I was hoping to hear names that I wanted to hear but I soon realized I needed to venture outside my comfort zone for players that I admire. Again, Thank You, you are all awesome. As a basement player you all have created challenges I'll never be able to win, but to me that's the fun. May we all play well and enjoy the music. IMHOP, it's the thing that binds us. I look forward to my continued learning on this site and appreciate all that you all have done for me on my drum journey. Sincerly, Wally

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t remember if I posted these, and I’m too lazy to read back through. But I’m going to throw out the Sun Records guys: DJ Fontana, JM Van Eaton, WS Holland, etc. Those guys invented rock and roll drumming.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steven Adler is a very good rock drummer - the GnR parts aren't boiler plate and I don't think he gets considered enough.
For 30 years I’ve been trying to play with that much swagger. He’s the Keith Richards of drums. BTW, have you checked out the Gretsch kit that he used on Appetite? It’s the same kit Phil Collins used on “Against All Odds”.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Didn't read all 12 pages, but I literally just found out about Cliff Almond. Very much the late 80’s/early 90’s Weckl/Vinnie vibe, but a very accomplished player.

healthie1

Reaction score
For 30 years I’ve been trying to play with that much swagger. He’s the Keith Richards of drums. BTW, have you checked out the Gretsch kit that he used on Appetite? It’s the same kit Phil Collins used on “Against All Odds”.

Interesting! I hadn't thought about what kit he used for this. His feel is a bit like a slower, swaggier chad smith. I like the '88 live at the ritz recordings and the single stroke snare drum rolls he does; great body language.

Ox Han

Reaction score
Ty Segall - dude can play anything
J Mascis - of Dinosaur Jr fame - played drums in deep wound and some other projects

Kenneth Buttrey - blonde on blonde
Bobby Gregg - bringing it all back home