Drummers that you like but don't get enough credit ?

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
Kelly Keagy. Has his own sound, plays some cool stuff, and is a powerhouse. Always liked his playing. That he sings and does that...

Saw Night Ranger in Madison Wisconsin. Walking around before the show. .Came upon a bus. All the guys came out signed stuff and talked, except one. And we could hear him yelling inside. True Story. And I have others that can back me up. But yes, he's awesome and that was 3 decades ago. (LMAO)

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
Mark Craney
Myron Grombacher

And a 2nd to Phil Ehart and Richie Hayward, I saw both of those names already.

There are literally thousands, I'm sure many of them on this board that I don't even know about.

gabo
Agreed at the highest level. Lots and Lots of greats that are hidden.

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Saw Night Ranger in Madison Wisconsin. Walking around before the show. .Came upon a bus. All the guys came out signed stuff and talked, except one. And we could hear him yelling inside. True Story. And I have others that can back me up. But yes, he's awesome and that was 3 decades ago. (LMAO)
So drummers can be lead singers as well! :)

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
Mark Craney
Myron Grombacher

And a 2nd to Phil Ehart and Richie Hayward, I saw both of those names already.

There are literally thousands, I'm sure many of them on this board that I don't even know about.

gabo
I want to see Phil play in the worst way. That whole group is just special in music. Talent on the highest level.

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
I want to see Phil play in the worst way. That whole group is just special in music. Talent on the highest level.
Saw an interview with Garth Brooks were he said he thought he heard the drummer play a "C". Pretty big compliment coming from Garth, IMHOP. Speaking of Phil and Kansas.

Last edited:

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Phil still brings it....at 72!

Seeing a lot of people mentioned who *do* get plenty of credit. But not:
Prairie Prince, pretty much the only Tube outside of Fee not replaced by Toto on the Foster albums.
Alan Myers of Devo, who was like a human drum machine, playing ridiculous patterns consistently throughout.
Dennis Bryon, of the Bee Gees. Played on records that made the world dance and sold scrillions...and I never hear anyone talk about him.

Dan

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
Phil still brings it....at 72!

Seeing a lot of people mentioned who *do* get plenty of credit. But not:
Prairie Prince, pretty much the only Tube outside of Fee not replaced by Toto on the Foster albums.
Alan Myers of Devo, who was like a human drum machine, playing ridiculous patterns consistently throughout.
Dennis Bryon, of the Bee Gees. Played on records that made the world dance and sold scrillions...and I never hear anyone talk about him.

Dan
Agree and Devo is a blast to chase with acoustic stuff. I end up making it sound like 5FDP !

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
James Bradley Jr. Chuck Mangione's Feels so Good. A tip of my hat to my drum teacher, Jeff Murray from Prague Oklahoma who told me Peter Criss is cool but if you can't play James's stuff your not a drummer. And that was in the mid 70's. Man, you all are putting up some great stuff. I'll be watching videos till Christmas !

cinemadrummer2001

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Joe Dukes who played with Jack McDuff and Lonnie Smith. Partly because he didn't record after '71 or so and there's little to no footage of him in action.

I love his album “ the soulful drums of Joe Dukes” on Prestige!

MVE

Reaction score
Carl Cunningham.
He doesn’t even have a Wikipedia entry and I could only find one single video of his playing. But I absolutely love every track of the original Bar-Kays only album.