Drummers that you like but don't get enough credit ?

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
I was just wondering who you all think are hidden gems of drumming. I am older so I was listening to Steve Perry , For Love of Strange Medicine from the mid 80's. The drummer is Moyes Lucas. Not much on line for him ,but I love the stuff he was doing on that album. I think he's awesome. Love trying to keep up with him. IMHOP'' he's a gem. Would love to hear who you all can mention that are "hidden gem's" on stuff from all decades. Players that are not mentioned on list's. Just curious on opinions. Thanks, Wally.
Joe LaBarbera is wonderful. I loved his drumming on Chuck Mangione’s Land of Make Believe. Anything Gary Mallaber does is amazing and Rayford Griffin is inspiring. So tight in the pocket and clean chops.
Last but not least, Larry Mullen Jr. His drum parts are so perfect. Bullet the Blue Sky? Where the Streets Have No Names? Are you kidding me?

Last edited:

MICHAELT

Reaction score
Billy Ficca from Television. Though the guitarist’s Verlaine and Lloyd get all the love, Ficca’s drumming is musical glue that holds it all together . His playing on “Marquee Moon” is still my all around favorite recorded drum record.
I also love everything Jason McGerr plays with Death Cab For Cutie, precision, inventiveness, and perfection every time.

zeichner

Reaction score
Alvin Stoller. I first noticed his tasty playing on the Ella Fitzgerald songbook albums. He is totally locked in with the band and supportive of the vocals. (Check out "Stormy Weather" & "That Old Black Magic" from the Harold Arlen Songbook, vol. 1.) Since then, I've found that he recorded with Harry James, Billie Holiday, Roy Eldridge, Fred Astaire, Maynard Ferguson, & Errol Garner, among many others. He certainly wasn't a flashy drummer, which probably accounts for his lack of recognition today, but he really knew how to back up a singer.

fredpasta

Reaction score
I was just wondering who you all think are hidden gems of drumming. I am older so I was listening to Steve Perry , For Love of Strange Medicine from the mid 80's. The drummer is Moyes Lucas. Not much on line for him ,but I love the stuff he was doing on that album. I think he's awesome. Love trying to keep up with him. IMHOP'' he's a gem. Would love to hear who you all can mention that are "hidden gem's" on stuff from all decades. Players that are not mentioned on list's. Just curious on opinions. Thanks, Wally.
I don't think that guy Neil Perc gets near enough attention ...

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike Botts, the drummer behind Bread, Linda Ronstadt, Andrew Gold, Warren Zevon, and others. I used to love to watch him playing around his Camcos with mallets.

View attachment 503760

This could also hang around the unpopular thread … Bread has always been a bit of a splitter among musician friends.
But I love this guys work. His stint on Dan Peeks album was memorable.
I run his tunes at least once a month. There are so many, it’s hard not to.
Outstanding groove and very creative tom work.

Last edited:

cinemadrummer2001

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tony Reedus is another excellent drummer you don’t hear about very much. I loved his playing with Woody Shaw.

gdaileda

Reaction score
too many to name, but I'll give the first five I can think of: Nigel Olsson, John Siomos, Jim Hodder (early Steely Dan), Bengt Lagerberg (Cardigans), BJ Wilson (Procol Harum); bonus - Jim Capaldi (Traffic). All of these drummers are 'known' internationally - at least by us.
When you try to get your head around how many great drummers there must be - local/regional, national, global - it is truly daunting. There's so many, in fact, that I often wonder why I bother to play drums at all. Anyway, I hardly ever have the drumming world's icons on my list of favorites. And for me, there are renowned drummers whose drumming irks me in some way, though I do acknowledge their

skill and dedication. I will never mention them on any post out of respect and tact.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not enough credit in no particular order

Matt Thompson - King Diamond
This is so great to see. I grew up with Matt and we are still very good friends. We had quite a few great drummers in our area growing up, but Matt always shined above us. As with many of our crew, Matt studied with big band drummer Al Ipri and he killed it taking his playing to University of North Texas in Denton.

Here we are with part of our hometown crew goofing off.

E9A54871-AFB4-495D-8C19-D03F71EAAD00.jpeg
FCBEC769-B86D-498A-834D-EB4CAD703580.jpeg

Alex VanHalen. Serious chops and groove.
He’s been acknowledged in MD’s Top 25 drummers. I don’t think you can call him underrated.

m.clover

Reaction score
Joe LaBarbera is wonderful. I loved his drumming on Chuck Mangione’s Land of Make Believe. Anything Gary Mallaber does is amazing and Rayford Griffin is inspiring. So tight in the pocket and clean chops.
A Big AMEN to Gary Mallaber

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
This could also hang around the unpopular thread … Bread has always been a bit of a splitter among musician friends.
But I love this guys work. His stint on Dan Peeks album was memorable.
I run his tunes at least once a month. There are so many, it’s hard not to.
Outstanding groove and very creative tom work.
I know what you mean about Mike being pigeon-holed with Bread. It wasn't HIS fault. Listen to his work on David Gates' solo albums. His drumming was always in the pocket and very creative. Also, he was a pretty fair vocalist, as well.

steeljazzfan

Reaction score
Jamie Salazar from The Flower kings. Listen to the Rainmaker album. Amazing stuff.
I also agree with Graham Lear.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Prairie Prince from the Tubes (and tons of sessions) and Scott Churilla (formerly of Reverend Horton Heat) come immediately to my mind as underrated.
I've seen Scott more than a few times with the Rev and Supersuckers. He's a beast of a player with a great feel.

Paul Simmons was great with the Rev, too.