Drummers that you like but don't get enough credit ?

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

roguefate

Reaction score
Tony Thompson
Ash Soan
Will Calhoun
Richard Spaven
Dave Krusen
Herman Matthews
Mike Cosgrove - Alien Ant Farm
Ted Parsons - Prong, Killing Joke
Sim Cain - Rollins Band
Dave McClain - Sacred Reich, Machine Head
Dennis Diken - The Smithereens
Eric Stevenson - Only Living Witness

Eric Stevenson INDEED! I saw Only Living Witness and Formicide play live about a dozen times. I still have their recordings. Eric's drumming was simply perfection within each Witnesss song. He knew EXACTLY what the tune needed and executed his vision beautifully. Unfortunately, he passed away several years ago. RIP!

I'm going to throw another metal drummer out there who I think is under appreciated. Kirk Arrington, the original drummer for Seattle's Metal Church. His approach to their songs was out-of-the-box and sometimes technical but Arrington NEVER sacrificed the groove such that the song always kept you moving.

Scott K Fish

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering who you all think are hidden gems of drumming. I am older so I was listening to Steve Perry , For Love of Strange Medicine from the mid 80's. The drummer is Moyes Lucas. Not much on line for him ,but I love the stuff he was doing on that album. I think he's awesome. Love trying to keep up with him. IMHOP'' he's a gem. Would love to hear who you all can mention that are "hidden gem's" on stuff from all decades. Players that are not mentioned on list's. Just curious on opinions. Thanks, Wally.
Grady Tate.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
A.J. Pero

TS got an odd reputation with the Stay Hungry album but prior to that (and including) they were a solid rock band all the way around.

Twisted Sister will always be distilled (for me) into one line - “Whattayou wanna do with your life?… I WANNA ROCK!” The schoolteacher was freakin awesome. That video got so much play on early MTV that it was permanently burned into my brain.

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
Just was down in the basement. Phil Ehart was mentioned a while ago. I was trying to do Carry On in its original form and I have not "nailed" it yet, after 3 years of trying(lmao). Phil was and is 1 of my favorites. I needed a break and listened to "No One Together" and it confirmed 2 things, Phil is awesome, and I suck! While I listened over and over I thought of someone I watched on the video site. He goes by drumklaus, has some awesome stuff on. I would put drumklaus in that group of awesome players. I can see him doing No One Together with Kansas. Not trying to push someone from DF, but, IMHOP, drumklaus is pretty freaking good. Just thought I'd put 1 in from our site who I really enjoy watching play.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Twisted Sister will always be distilled (for me) into one line - “Whattayou wanna do with your life?… I WANNA ROCK!” The schoolteacher was freakin awesome. That video got so much play on early MTV that it was permanently burned into my brain.
Though amusing I can’t take them seriously.

Paistekid

Reaction score
Definitely Paul DeLong who played for Kim Mitchell on the first 2 records. He’s a great jazz/fusion player as well

Last edited:

jazzmetal

Reaction score
Frank Briggs
Kirk Covington
Ralph Humphrey
John Guerin
Bobby Colomby
Gary Novak
Bobby Elliot
Tony Meehan
Alex Acuna - on drumset