Drummers that you like but don't get enough credit ?

BobDrummer

Reaction score
Ralph Humphrey. Studio guy from LA. I think he was house drummer on one of those voice competition shows a while back. Saw him waaaaaay back in late 70s with a jazz quartet called Freeflight. Chops and groove like you wouldn’t believe.

gdaileda

Reaction score
Mick Fleetwood, very famous but I don't often hear his name mentioned in drumming circles.

Some guys below who most of you won't have heard of who've played with well known artists here in Australia:

Steve Prestwich (RIP) a tasteful but hard driving player with the band Cold Chisel. He could play guitar, sing and write songs as well.

Yak Sherrit, check him out on some Johnny Diesel and the Injectors recordings, arguably as big a snare sound as you'll ever hear.

John Watson, a fantastic solid player, he plays with an artist called James Reyne who's famous here for the band Australian Crawl in the early eighties and also solo recordings.

Michael Barker, he's actually a Kiwi (New Zealander) but played with the John Butler Trio over here more recently. An amazing player, absolutely blew me away when I saw them live.

Kerry Jacobson, originally a Kiwi as well, played with a band called Dragon in the late seventies/early eighties and freelances with different artists these days, a great player.

Jon Farris who's already been mentioned.

A couple of more jazz/modern jazz guys who are monsters, David Jones and Andrew Gander.
In a similar vein to Mick Fleetwood, I would also mention Don Henley. He's a musician who happens to play drums. As far as I know, he plays piano, guitar and sings (obviously) and he wrote a great deal of hit songs with writing partner Glenn Frey. (Yes, I know Mick 'only' plays drums and percussion. But he's just as famous as Henley yet still grievously underrated).

gdaileda

Reaction score
Ralph Humphrey. Studio guy from LA. I think he was house drummer on one of those voice competition shows a while back. Saw him waaaaaay back in late 70s with a jazz quartet called Freeflight. Chops and groove like you wouldn’t believe.
He played for Zappa in the early to mid 1970s. He is also the Drum Department Chair at the Los Angeles College of Music.

BobDrummer

Reaction score
Nick D’Virgilio can wail with the best of them but also has a soft touch that’s like butter.

Joe Bergamini can play most styles extremely well.

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
I'm still writing names down and looking them up. So,So many awesome players listed here. Thanks to all for putting in to this. I'm a child of the 80's with a taste for a lot of stuff and you all are blowing me away with so many players that I've never heard of or just plain didn't realize who it was playing the tunes. I've always believed music was the medium for all. It brings everyone together and everyone on this site just confirmed my belief. Have a peaceful night and play well my friends. Thanks again, Wally

jazzmetal

Reaction score
In a similar vein to Mick Fleetwood, I would also mention Don Henley. He's a musician who happens to play drums. As far as I know, he plays piano, guitar and sings (obviously) and he wrote a great deal of hit songs with writing partner Glenn Frey. (Yes, I know Mick 'only' plays drums and percussion. But he's just as famous as Henley yet still grievously underrated).

Both Fleetwood and Henley are capable players but their greatest achievement, against all odds - was keeping the band together !

Last edited:

jazzmetal

Reaction score
He played for Zappa in the early to mid 1970s. He is also the Drum Department Chair at the Los Angeles College of Music.

Ralph Humphrey = Steely Dan's 'Black Cow'

Reaction score
Phil Selway
Rodney Holmes
Joey Waronker
Bill Berry
Chris Joyce
Aaron Comess

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Manu Katche
Sting, Peter Gabriel, Jeff Beck, Dire Straits, and yet I rarely hear him mentioned among modern drum influencers.
He is a huge influence for me.

His name being in the name of a band that was one of the biggest in the world at a time helps.

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Norwegian studio guy they hired for this track. Seriously, one of my very favorite drum performances.
(I looked him up once but forgot his name.)
Pretty funny
Reminds me of “The Conchords”kind of humor and sound.

jazzmetal

Reaction score
I think that was Paul Humphrey (Humphries?)
I think you might mean Paul Humphrey.

Thank you gentlemen, I stand corrected ..and I think we can all agree that Paul Humphrey is another notable on this thread (I like him and he doesn't get enough credit) - for the feel, restraint and perfection on Black Cow.

Last edited:

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
Scott Rockfield. Love the Stuff they did and do. But ya gotta admit it's kind of a wild ongoing deal with no apparent resolution in site. Wish them all peace and happiness and thanks for making millions happy.