Drummers who did something amazing

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Johnny Raab’s one handed roll stuff still astounds me even though I know that lots of folks see it as a gimmick. I don’t think that anyone does it better than Johnny.

JazzAcolyte

Reaction score
If your definition of amazing includes things that are very hard to do even though they don’t look very hard to do, I’d note Art Blakey’s amazing swinging grooves, like the one in the opening lines of I Hear a Rhapsody. That swing is just insane.

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Guiliana "wows" me. I love that he can play very busy and complicated, but, to me, it never sounds contrived or forced like so many in the genre do.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love this guy

Wow. I first saw that Buddy vs. Eric drum battle a couple years ago and just assumed both were playing at the same time in the 1940's. Sheesh.
With closer inspection I noticed Eric played every note Buddy did - or essentially so. And in the Buddy background the people are moving around....and dead still in the Eric background.
Fooled on this for a couple years. Nice job. You got me. And now I know why I never heard of a great drummer in the 40's named Eric Fischer except in this one "drum battle."

Pedal_Pusher

Reaction score
Well, I'll get it started with Lipushiau, a female drummer from Ur that lived around 8000 years ago.
She's the first named drummer in human history.
Jubal was also named, but as a Musician. Lipushiau was specifically a drummer and has appropriately dated graphical representations of her playing.
She played frame drums.
Is the source of this the Layne Redmond book "When the Drummers Were Women"? I thought that was a really good book. Thanks for reminding me about it. Another great book is "Women Drummers: A History from Rock and Jazz to Blues and Country" by Angela Smith (2014 Rowland and Littlefield).

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the source of this the Layne Redmond book "When the Drummers Were Women"? I thought that was a really good book. Thanks for reminding me about it. Another great book is "Women Drummers: A History from Rock and Jazz to Blues and Country" by Angela Smith (2014 Rowland and Littlefield).

I'm not familiar with that book. I will look it up.
My reference comes from my own historical research on drumming and my biblical studies (Theology).
She's kind of a big deal in those circles ... as is Jubal.
Thanks for the pointers to some books. Appreciate 'em.

Last edited:

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Papa Jo Jones was poetry in motion to me. Everything he played touched my soul, and how he played it with fluidity and a touch of humor was a joy (for me) to watch. Another drummer, Sonny Payne, had some jaw dropping moments. He was not nearly the inspiration that his father, Chris Columbus, was to me, but this clip is indelibly burned into my mind:

Then there are Denzil Best, John Poole and Ed Thigpen whose brushwork inspired me to immerse myself in learning how to use them effectively. But this is THE song that triggered all that:

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve Smith keeping a fast 5 tuplet going with his left hand while soloing with his 3 other limbs. Mind blown each time I watch it.

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Karen Carpenter really paved the way for female drummers in pop and rock. And she could really play, but her managers pushed her away from drumming so she could front the duo with her beautiful voice -

Side note...the other drummer in those clips is Cubby O'Brien, one of the original Mickey Mouse Club Mouseketeers.

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
On another side note, do yourself a favor and not only study chops-meisters and bar raisers, but also study what makes drummers like Ringo Starr, Al Jackson from Booker T and the MG's, Phil Rudd from AC/DC, and Bun E. Carlos from Cheap Trick so beloved. None were chopsmeisters, but all were extremely creative and extremely solid, and playing like them is harder than it seems. And while I love a great stunt drummer, the best drummers play music, not drums.

EDIT: I didn't add Bun E's name just because he's on here, either :D

Last edited: