Drummers With Multiple Kits: Ever an Issue With Family / Friends?

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
It’s mainly an issue of money tied up and storage. I bought some racks for storage and that helps. I’ve downsized a little, mainly in cymbals not drums.

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Reaction score
Nobody has ever said that to me. I nipped that kind of talk in the bud when my wife asked why I needed so many cowbells. I used the why do you have so many pair of shoes tactic and it worked.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This has been bothering me for years now, and I try to ignore it or put it out of my mind as much as possible, but I had to be around her last night and she started the same crap as usual, but the worst part about it (to me) is her tone--it's almost as if she is talking to me like I'm a 5 year old--"you have enough toy trucks, you don't need another one" AAG!!! Makes me want to scream!!! I almost feel like asking her "give me a number for an 'acceptable' number of drums you approve of".
It's just so weird because I can't think of anyone else offhand who gives two s&@$ about how many drums I own...

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well I would of told her to pound sand many years ago, but that is just me. I can't put up with stuff like that. I would say just show her this pic of my room, and maybe she will think you aren't so sick after all.

Haha!! Thanks guys for the support--part of me would LOVE to do as you suggested, but family situations/dynamics make that pretty near impossible. I mean, I could (obviously) but the fallout from it would be ugly, but believe me, it crosses my mind a LOT!!!
Maybe in a few years when things change a bit in the family I will be in a better position to really say something more forceful--I'm just so SICK of constantly feeling like I have to explain/justify/defend owning ANYTHING. If you don't like it STFU!!!

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes show her Bandits room, that will silence her. Seriously it sounds like you have tried to be nice and it hasn't worked.
Maybe it is time to get a little tough, and point out how many things she has that she doesnt "need" multiple purses, jewelry, shoes etc.

Show her how hypocritical she is, and her opinions are no longer wanted

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Need and Want are two different things.

If I had the space, I'd own 20 drum sets. Why? Because I like them.
Exactly! I could certainly "get by" with just ONE kit, and for over 20 years I did have just 2 kits (only 1 for a while), but drums and music is my hobby/passion and as long as we are paying the bills I am entitled (imho) to spend my disposable income anyway I wish. No offense to those who do, but I don't smoke/drink/gamble/hunt/fish/golf/restore cars/have a boat/etc. It's basically JUST drums for me, and I may as well get what I want when I am still young enough to enjoy myself and enjoy life in general a little bit because God knows, it sure can be super stressful a lot of the time. Drums are my release--I love spending time cleaning/tuning/giving them TLC. It relaxes me--why should I have to apologize for that?

Rotarded

Reaction score
Simply put, They are tools. The right tool for the job. I play out in different venues all the time. What is right for one, may not be right for another. A Stainless kit with a Bell Brass snare isn't going to work well in a small club with block walls, for example.

As said before, why do you need more than one pair of shoes? Multiple jackets? etc. etc.?

Last edited:

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mother in Law? Maybe your wife complains to her and she's doing the dirty work. Or it's become the habitual and only way she can relate.
I would politely ask why she doesn't question her son's collection and or go the shoe route. After that I would simply act like I don't hear her.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
"You're right, I have 6 drums! I guess I need another one so I have one for each day of the week! Thanks for bringing this to my attention!"

You can just say that you have the luxury of being able to A.) Afford multiple sets and B.) Being able to hear the difference between them. I feel bad for those who can't hear the nuance.

I have 4 kits that fill 4 different roles. Could I get away with just one kit? Sure, but where's the fun in that? Instruments are supposed to be a tool to enjoy playing music. I'm sure yours fulfill different needs and/or wants as well. Enjoy those tools!

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Haha!! Thanks guys for the support--part of me would LOVE to do as you suggested, but family situations/dynamics make that pretty near impossible. I mean, I could (obviously) but the fallout from it would be ugly, but believe me, it crosses my mind a LOT!!!
Maybe in a few years when things change a bit in the family I will be in a better position to really say something more forceful--I'm just so SICK of constantly feeling like I have to explain/justify/defend owning ANYTHING. If you don't like it STFU!!!
You know, sometimes the fallout is worth it though. After that, you never have to deal with this issue again. Next, her focus will be "Did you hear what singleordoubheads said to me? The gall!"

But seriously, if she can't take what she's dishing out, too bad. That's on her.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have 4 kits that fill 4 different roles. Could I get away with just one kit? Sure, but where's the fun in that? Instruments are supposed to be a tool to enjoy playing music. I'm sure yours fulfill different needs and/or wants as well. Enjoy those tools!
Exactly right. Having multiple sets of drums (different shell makeup, sizes, tunings) is FUN.

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
For those here with multiple kits, do you ever get negative feedback/comments from family or friends? I ask because I proudly own 6 kits and have had at least 3 at a time since 2006. I have a family member who, for reasons I cannot understand, always has to make comments (when the subject of drums comes up) along the lines of "you don't need all those drums" or "you can only play one set at a time" or, when I joke about getting another kit (I'm not) "if you want more drums you need to get rid of some old ones". Tonight I heard a new one--"you don't need all those little drums"???
Now, we usually get along okay regarding anything BUT drums, but for unknown reasons me owning multiple kits drives her crazy!! Meanwhile HER son (also my age 52) lives alone with no kids but owns FOUR vehicles and has a large basement FULL of HUGE model train displays and I never say one word about it. My drums are MY business and I'd like to rip her a new one but have to bite my tongue to keep family peace. Anyone else here have similar experiences with a family member or friends??
I have guitar player friends who own DOZENS of guitars!! And nobody blinks an eye. In fact a former Band mate would often bring 7-8 guitars to EVERY GIG!! Am I just being over sensitive or is my family member just a jerk??
Why is your responsibility to worry about keeping the family peace? Obviously, she's not worried about it or she would hold her tongue, or just be happy for you.

Barden

Reaction score
I really don't like going to concerts where multiple acts use the same kit. They just switch cymbals and snare. The SAME drums sounds are on every song all night long.

I don't even like it when one band does a full set without switching something out for different songs. Listen to their CD and you hear the variety of the equipment dedicated to make each song work.

I also don't think I would enjoy watching Bob Ross paint with just one or two colors.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's not so much that I "care" per se, but it gets a bit tiresome to always be on "defense" every time this comes up. It's certainly none of hers (or anyone else's) BUSINESS how many drums I own. Yes people can have their opinions but why not zip it once in a while??
I've tried going the "nice" route many times, trying to (calmly) explain WHY I have what I have (again, I shouldn't HAVE to!!) and attempt to explain different configurations/shell-types/sizes/bearing edges/head options/etc, but it always seems to fall on deaf ears. Do I technically NEED 6 kits? Of course not, but I WANT options and work hard for my money which I am then entitled to spend as I see fit!
Not that I've had this experience but maybe just tell her to not worry about it, it doesn't affect her life at all and to mind her own business. Or if this is a relative of your spouses then ask your spouse to say something to her.