header.nohb.html

Drummers with odd playing postures

RogersLudwig

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s Doc West almost standing up. Who else meets this definition to you? Plus look how thin his sticks.
DE4C55B3-0E33-4AA4-92BA-2B8334DFD861.jpeg

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is exactly what came to mind when I saw the post title. Like, immediately. I don’t know how he played so well for so long with such awful posture.

Imagine if his infamous personality was nothing more than just a symptom of untended chronic back pain!
Lol. This pic also came up when I was searching for a pic
9BEFE66F-A4F5-4383-B218-CA084FE81745.jpeg

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone pleeeeeze help me out here.
There was a drummer in a proggy-type 70s band who was a total monster player but who sat so low that his snare was almost at shoulder level and his band mates called him the human octopus.

Does this ring a bell for anyone here? Not super well known but totally whacked out posture and I ain’t getting much outta Mr. Google.

mesazoo

Reaction score
There was a drummer in a proggy-type 70s band who was a total monster player but who sat so low that his snare was almost at shoulder level and his band mates called him the human octopus.

Does this ring a bell for anyone here? Not super well known but totally whacked out posture and I ain’t getting much outta Mr. Google.
B J Wilson

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

B J Wilson
From Procol Harum. Dude was a monster player.

Last edited:

fenrir

Reaction score
Denny Fongheiser is another. He's a tiny guy anyway, but nearly sits on the floor. Blew my mind seeing him for the first time on a TV show many years ago
36aa2a154a9224a385219247ab5a7ff6.jpg

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
Denny Fongheiser is another. He's a tiny guy anyway, but nearly sits on the floor. Blew my mind seeing him for the first time on a TV show many years ago
View attachment 577698

I checked his videos recorded from the back/side angle. He does sit bit low (but not super low compared to his height) so his knees are at 90 degrees which is bit to little. And his snare is high compared to most drummers. But his posture looks actually really good, straight back etc. It just looks bit unusual because he's short and the snare is higher than his floor tom.

Last edited:

fenrir

Reaction score
I checked his videos recorded from the back/side angle. He does sit bit low (but not super low compared to his height) so his knees are at 90 degrees which is bit to little. And his snare is high compared to most drummers. But his posture looks actually really good, straight back etc. It just looks bit unusual because he's short and the snare is higher than his floor tom.

Wasn't commenting on his posture, per se, moreso the contrast of a diminutive drummer behind a big, leaning-in kit. An unusual alignment, maybe, is a better way to phrase it. He's a great drummer too.

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It probably had more to do with him being seen by the audience.
Thanks John, yes - I am of that era, and I love the DC5 hits, but most of the recent reports and analyses of the DC5 product/business offer the now-familiar "in the studio, the drums were played by..." and also detail the carefully-managed (by DC himself) image-and-brand. The drumming on the hit singles almost seems deliberately to have been designed for DC to be able to [sort of] reproduce in concert - so for example the prevalence of single stroke rolls, the 4/4 beat. "Bits and Pieces" intro and outro for example. So it would make sense for the staging to prioritze the look, not the sound, and the way DC sits up high is surely for 'looks.'