Drummers you DON’T LIKE in bands you love

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok time to turn it the other way. Why would you listen to a drummer you love in a band you don’t like or vice versa?

Are there really people who spend time listening to bands or drummers they don’t like? lol

nmosko

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Man this tough because of all the bands I like the drums are definitely one of the reasons. I think I’d have to go with Paul Bostaph-era Slayer. Not a huge slayer fan, but I like 10-12 songs. Dave Lombardo just has something that Boataph didn’t. Kudos to him though for being the guy they trusted to replace Lombardo and Bostaph did a hell of a job!

maybe that answer didn’t even count

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, so I like Matt Sorum. He's a great drummer, nothing against his playing or him personally. But Guns N' Roses lost a lot of its swagger when he took over. Steven Adler was the right drummer for that band.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok time to turn it the other way. Why would you listen to a drummer you love in a band you don’t like or vice versa?

Are there really people who spend time listening to bands or drummers they don’t like? lol

I don't have any. If anything, the drummers are the most likable guys in most bands, even ones I hate.

Last edited:

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also thought we'd see more guys who respect Dave Lombardo or Tomas Haake, but find Slayer/Meshuggah a bit too intense.

That's the other thread. This one is drummers we DON'T like in bands we love.

This thread is harder. It's hard to dislike a drummer beyond not appreciating what they brought to a specific band. I mean, if it's on a commercial recording we all heard...it was pretty good drumming!

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love Shelly Phelps and The Storm but her drummer is a talentless hack ……
At least you answered the title question of the thread correctly! I’m not sure what was lost in translation here.

My question was sarcastic overall.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have said this....but I'd be a hypocrite because back in the late 80's, I LOVED me some Lars!
Same here.

I still think highly of him for his accomplishments but from what I understand in person the guy is a real delta bravo which is really the only reason I'd consider him as a response to this thread.

IBitePrettyHard

Reaction score
Same here.

I still think highly of him for his accomplishments but from what I understand in person the guy is a real delta bravo which is really the only reason I'd consider him as a response to this thread.
I loved the Black album when I was growing up, and I even liked Lars' drumming back then. There's no denying his playing sounds badass on that album.

But then I read how his drum parts were literally stitched together like Frankenstein.

And then I heard his actual playing without all the studio magic.

And then I saw him play live. Yikes.

And then he sued Napster and waged war on his fans.

So yeah, he's a douchecanoe.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is a tough one. For me it's all about the right fit, and not about the drummer's abilities. With that in mind...

Dave Grohl in the Foo Fighters. Nothing at all against Dave, but I think Taylor Hawkins does a better job on the songs he plays on.

Deen Castronovo with Social Distortion. Deen's a hell of a rock drummer, but his drumming on White Light, White Heat, White Trash just seemed too clean and polished for Social D.

And just in general...and I didn't like when the classic country and rockabilly folks started replacing their original bands with Nashville studio musicians in the 70's.

afwdrums

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings on this one, but I’ll throw it out there simply because it’s the only thing that has come to mind

The White Stripes

on the one hand, Meg is just not good imo, her time seems pretty poor and she seems to only know how to play maybe 2-3 different beats

on the other hand, would the White Stripes actually be a BETTER band if they had a more versatile and capable drummer? I’m not sure they would

Vicey

Reaction score
Chris Frantz. I like Talking Heads quite a bit but, unlike most other favorite bands, the drumming is not part of the appeal for me. I think I love ride cymbals too much to appreciate him.

Dontchasethequeen

Reaction score
When they replaced josh eppard from cohead and Cambria. He was all lost up on drugs and left them mid tour in Japan. But still, the guy they replaced him with ( josh is now back in the band ) I thought sucked compared to josh, and just didn’t sound good with the band.