Drummers you DON’T LIKE in bands you love

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
OK, so I like Matt Sorum. He's a great drummer, nothing against his playing or him personally. But Guns N' Roses lost a lot of its swagger when he took over. Steven Adler was the right drummer for that band.

%1000 agree with this. The whole entire swing of G&R came from Steven. I can understand that he had his substance problems (that's most likely an understatement), but he comes across as a very cool guy and has been clean and sober for a while now. There are several videos of him playing along to G&R tracks and he sounds as good as ever. I also saw a video of his G&R cover band and the singer sounds incredible. Probably sounds like Axel straight off of the Appetite album. The whole band sounds better than the real G&R IMO.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's just like football coaches and conductors and whatever else. When a legend dies or leaves, the replacement is often stepping into a losing position. One notable exception: Simon Phillips. That dude survived situations nobody else would have.

nmosko

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
%1000 agree with this. The whole entire swing of G&R came from Steven. I can understand that he had his substance problems (that's most likely an understatement), but he comes across as a very cool guy and has been clean and sober for a while now. There are several videos of him playing along to G&R tracks and he sounds as good as ever. I also saw a video of his G&R cover band and the singer sounds incredible. Probably sounds like Axel straight off of the Appetite album. The whole band sounds better than the real G&R IMO.

holy moly that’s insane! It almost sounds like a tape of Axl!!

nmosko

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lars is one of the greatest drummers of all time. Lars-hate is ridiculous IMHO.

brann dailor of mastodon is awesome but I feel like he overplays. Fits the music but if I was a producer for mastodon I’d say hey bro lay back a bit and let’s see what happens.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Lars is one of the greatest drummers of all time. Lars-hate is ridiculous IMHO.

brann dailor of mastodon is awesome but I feel like he overplays. Fits the music but if I was a producer for mastodon I’d say hey bro lay back a bit and let’s see what happens.
That's kool, but the producer is not a member of Mastodon. And, apparently, the members of Mastodon like Brann Dailor's playing.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think this fits here... I don't really care for Pat Benatar but I played with a group that did a number of her songs. I get them stuck in my head frequently and I find myself tapping along to them when I'm just zoning out. That said, I can't stand Myron Grombacher's playing. No idea why. He's just never clicked with me.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This isn't drummer-specific, but this thread reminded me... No matter how many times I try to get into the album, I don't like Ten by Pearl Jam. They're great songs but they sound more like karaoke versions of kickass songs. You know, all lifeless and square. The album doesn't have near the soul or passion you'd expect from a band of that era. It's way too slick and over-produced.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to go down a Benny K type path here, but I'm going to say, and this is hard to even type, but the legendary Steve Jorden when he replaced Carlos Vega after his passing with James Taylor. Steve is a MONSTER but he was not the right replacement for JT's material, particularly at that point in his catalog. Carlos was the perfect drummer for Taylor.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
This is hard to say, because his heart was big and for crying out loud he was the only founding member still in the band when they kicked him out.

Mick Pointer, Marillion.

I love everything about that band when Fish was still with them. And bless him, Mick played that prog drumming only marginally better than I could. But Ian Mosley finally lifted them perfectly and completely toward everything they'd been reaching toward.

afwdrums

Reaction score
Primus during the time Brain was with them (Brown Album and whatnot)...not to knock Brain one bit, he’s a great player, but his style and approach was just so different from Tim Alexander, and imo, just didn’t work so good with Primus...Primus is definitely best with Herb on the drums, but gotta say that Jay Lane does a quite good job too, wonderful player that guy is

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This isn't drummer-specific, but this thread reminded me... No matter how many times I try to get into the album, I don't like Ten by Pearl Jam. They're great songs but they sound more like karaoke versions of kickass songs. You know, all lifeless and square. The album doesn't have near the soul or passion you'd expect from a band of that era. It's way too slick and over-produced.
They were always a lifeless & square arena rock band marketed as punk or 'alternative'.

I don't like Derrick Bostrom of the Meat Puppets, 1 of my favorite 80's bands

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kenny Jones with The Who. He was the 100% wrong drummer for that band. He added zero energy to their sound; when I saw them with Jones in '82 they all sounded like they were standing around waiting for a bus to arrive.

OTOH, although I love his playing with them, I don't think Simon Phillips was the ideal fit for The Who either — too surgically clean and precise.

The best post-Keith Moon fit for The Who is definitely Zak Starkey. Just the right combination of technique, energy and enthusiasm.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
With all due respect to Steve Gadd , Clapton shone the brightest with Jamie Oldaker RIP
I think this is spot on, I saw Mr. Clapton with Steve Gadd and while it was fine, I just thought the match wasn't the best, Gadd has a vocabulary that spans quite wide, and Claptons' Music doesnt really call for it, on Steely Dans Aja, different story.

Can you imagine Simon Phillips playing with the Beatles, or Ringo playing with Toto, or Yes.
Dont think it would work out too well, the best bands are just that, Bands.

tnsquint

Backline Rental Guru
Reaction score
OK, so I like Matt Sorum. He's a great drummer, nothing against his playing or him personally. But Guns N' Roses lost a lot of its swagger when he took over. Steven Adler was the right drummer for that band.
Do you think there was a bet in the studio to see how many “Pat Boone Debby Boone’s” Matt could place in “November Rain”?

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
Do you think there was a bet in the studio to see how many “Pat Boone Debby Boone’s” Matt could place in “November Rain”?
Ha ha, he plays the same fill on another song too which I can't think of at the moment. It's always reminded me of a Dom Famularo clinic I went to a long time ago where he talked about when he first started out playing having one beat and one fill.

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
I really like Foofighters and have all of their albums but for some reason I find it really hard to get into Taylor Hawkins' playing. My favourite songs of theirs are definitely the early stuff that Dave Grohl played on.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What would happen.....your production services probably would be terminated quite quickly. Or they would do it as suggested....then go back in and overdub.....whahaha.....
Sometimes overplaying just plain fits....
bt