Drummers You Like In Bands You Don’t

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first nominee is Hayley Cramer of Pop Evil. She seems very cool, but her band sounds obviously desperate to get on the radio, I can never listen to it.

Second, Todd Sucherman seems like a nice guy and has the best press agent among current drummers, but Styx has always seemed ridiculous to to ... Mr. Roboto.

Third, this doesn’t really apply after Steve Smith launched a failed coup of Journey hast year, but again, seems like a great guy in a band I detest.

Attachments

IBitePrettyHard

Reaction score
My first nominee is Hayley Cramer of Pop Evil. She seems very cool, but her band sounds obviously desperate to get on the radio, I can never listen to it.

Second, Todd Sucherman seems like a nice guy and has the best press agent among current drummers, but Styx has always seemed ridiculous to to ... Mr. Roboto.

Third, this doesn’t really apply after Steve Smith launched a failed coup of Journey hast year, but again, seems like a great guy in a band I detest.
What's this about Steve Smith launching a failed coup of Journey?

nmosko

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What's this about Steve Smith launching a failed coup of Journey?
tyeres a thread about it on here. Do a quick search and you’ll find it! Basically SS and the bassist tried to take the naming rights or something like that.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Agree that Todd Sucherman is a nice guy, and also a monster drummer. But, Styx never did much for me. Same with Steve Smith and Journey.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Whiter Shade of Pale aside, Procol Harum didn't do much for me , but their drummer BJ Wilson was something else , one of a kind .

Barry White could get old real quick , but Ed Greene his drummer was consistently phenomenal .

drumstuff66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Larry Mullen Jr.

He comes up with cool, interesting parts & good sounds, IMO.

Those early records when he was 18 or 19 years old always impress me when I consider I where I was in my playing at that age. His parts were raw, but thought out. The intro to Sunday Bloody Sunday was perfect, great set up for the mood & message of the song, one the best drum intros ever, IMO.

I like his use of toms, percussion sounds, syncopation & maybe some marching/rudimental influences within his grooves & fills.

Interesting set-up. Been with Yamaha & Paiste forever, doesn't bounce around ala Erskine & others, doesn't seem to do many interviews. Just really under the radar. One of the guys I wish was out there more talking about his approach, his influences, his gear choices, etc..

While the rest of U2 sometimes seems more intent on saving the world (Thanks, guys!) than making music, LMJ seems to just want to play drums then go home.

Edit: Correct song title

Last edited:

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
Larry Mullen Jr.

Those early records when he was 18 or 19 years old always impress me when I consider I where I was in my playing at that age. His parts were raw, but thought out. The intro to New Year's Day was perfect, great set up for the mood & message of the song, one the best drum intros ever, IMO.

I like his use of toms, percussion sounds, syncopation & maybe some marching/rudimental influences within his grooves & fills.

Interesting set-up. Been with Yamaha & Paiste forever, doesn't bounce around ala Erskine & others, doesn't seem to do many interviews. Just really under the radar. One of the guys I wish was out there more talking about his approach, his influences, his gear choices, etc..

While the rest of U2 sometimes seems more intent on saving the world (Thanks, guys!) than making music, LMJ seems to just want to play drums then go home.

I don't mind U2 but I really like Larry Mullen's playing as well, With or Without You is a magic drum part for the song as just one example, Sunday Bloody Sunday is another.

I remember seeing him in an interview with the band some years ago (no idea when or what program now) and he actually didn't rate himself much as a player and it wasn't just false modesty, he was quite genuine. He seems like a quiet, really humble guy.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Max Weinberg
Liberty DeVitto

Those two come to mind, but other than that I tend not to pay much attention to music I don’t like, so I really don’t know who the musicians are In those bands.

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score

Steve Smith is a fabulous drummer. Having to work for Schon and Perry; two egos taller than the Empire State Building, must have been a huge challenge. We still don't know the interworkings of "the coup", and Smith's and Vallory's side of the story. Perry backed them on their attempt, however.

snappy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Larry Mullen Jr.

Those early records when he was 18 or 19 years old always impress me when I consider I where I was in my playing at that age. His parts were raw, but thought out. The intro to Sunday Bloody Sunday was perfect, great set up for the mood & message of the song, one the best drum intros ever, IMO.

Edit: Correct song title
Great drummer.
I love the drumming from the (0:58) mark on.