Drumming Hacks

czarthedrummer

Reaction score
I recently punched a hole through my bass drum and so I wanted to know if anyone had any "hacks" to patching up broken/damaged heads? I know I could just go and buy one but until then I would like to see if anyone had any head remedy.

Post any other drum hacks you guys might have.

For example you can stack cymbals with cymbal sleeves, which is a way cheaper option than an actual stacker and its an easy way to expand the sound horizons!

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Aquarian makes a head patch. I keep one in my cymbal bag, though I hope not to use it.
At craft places like Jo Anne's they have various sized stick on patches to fix holes in cloth that are pretty cheap.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Put tape over the head on both sides and rotate the head so you are not hitting on the taped area, ideally. Other than that, buy a new head.

Tim Boettcher

Mapex Artist - Owner Kick Prints
Reaction score
Rich K. said:
Aquarian makes a head patch. I keep one in my cymbal bag, though I hope not to use it.
At craft places like Jo Anne's they have various sized stick on patches to fix holes in cloth that are pretty cheap.
These look like a home run!! Could be a show saver!!

czarthedrummer

Reaction score
Rich K. said:
Yea the $13 price tag is better than $40 for now.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've bought drums with kickport holes in them. I've take a regular piece of paper, cut it a little bigger than the hole, then used clear packaging tape and taped it across both the inside and outside......it's a temporary fix. I've also done it using black paper for a black head, and a paisley paper for a cool random pattern in the hole. If you have no holes except the hole you made, you can just try to tape the hole back together...........

Dan Radin

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
CesarAguirre said:
I recently punched a hole through my bass drum and so I wanted to know if anyone had any "hacks" to patching up broken/damaged heads?
I have carried two Remo Falam Slam patches in my cymbal bag for 15 years for this reason, but I've never broken a kick head during a show. Stick them to both sides and go.

dwdave

Groovinator
Reaction score
I busted a kick head at a gig once. I always carry a spare snare head, so I just made a patch and gaffed it on. Now, I ALWAYS carry a spare head in my hard case. It stores under a layer of extra foam. I just use a used head as the spare. I now do the same with the snare head as well, just store it under some foam.

Clue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The only time I ever broke a kick head was when my felt beater fell off the end of the shaft and I drove the metal rod right through the head. Made a patch out of duct tape to get thru the gig.

czarthedrummer

Reaction score
dwdave said:
I busted a kick head at a gig once. I always carry a spare snare head, so I just made a patch and gaffed it on. Now, I ALWAYS carry a spare head in my hard case. It stores under a layer of extra foam. I just use a used head as the spare. I now do the same with the snare head as well, just store it under some foam.
I do have some spare old heads. So just cut out a patch and just tape it on there? I'll let you know how that goes !!

dwdave

Groovinator
Reaction score
CesarAguirre said:
I do have some spare old heads. So just cut out a patch and just tape it on there? I'll let you know how that goes !!
Yep! all I had was a pocket knife and gaffers tape. I cut a square out 6-8" and taped the edges down. Don't tape where the beater hits, the tape will break down and get sticky.

Good luck!

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
Other hacks
If you are using tripod stands use a hose clamp to stop the legs spreading any further than they need to. Perfect set up every time.
This is kind of extreme but instead of marking stand tube height with a marker which fades over use, make a very very light score with a pipe cutter. This leaves a very fine line at the right height you need to stop at ( providing you collapse your stands all the time )

A J

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sadly, I've never been able to effectively repair a bass drum head. When it's done, it's done. My advice:

Always bring a spare kick head to gigs. Always use a pad on your bass batter head.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder , time to put a spare bass head in the truck. It's happened twice now, it's only a matter of time.

Chris

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
From now on,keep a spare head on hand.There's no better hack then that.

Dave H.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Never broke a bass drum head. I have pretty much always played a 2 ply head on the bass batter. That said I always carry spare heads for all my drums. Also a spare bass drum pedal. A little anal I guess!
Come to think of it I haven't broke any heads in the last 30 or so years.
Slawmeister

stickinthemud

DFO Master
Reaction score
Floor tom hack:
I use small hose clamps on my tom legs as memory clamps. I code the legs and lugs with small strips of fluorescent green gaffers tape for a quick match-up. Speeds set-up considerably.

Cheap smartphone mount:
One of those incredibly cheap (3 for $10 or less) smartphone tripods with the foam-covered wrap-around legs. Twist the legs around your tom mount yoke, cymbal stand, what-have you. I have converted one to a set list holder by replacing the part that holds the phone with a bulldog clip.