Drumming Headphones Advice

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howdy

I am seeking yet another set of headphones specifically designed for drumming isolation. My hearing is shot and I can't use just any old set of cans when I sit behind the kit.
I go through a set of phones about every two plus years.
Comfort, sound, isolation, and CORD are very important factors. The cord shorts drive me insane.
So, if there's some bluetooth versions, that might be cool.

I have used Metrophones, Vic Firth, etc. etc. etc.

Weigh in and help a brother out.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can rule out any Bluetooth headphones, too much latency.

I have a $100 pair of Sennheiser headphones that I have not been kind to, and the cord has given me no problems at all.

Reaction score
Start with the best drum isolation phones, and you'll never have to buy anything else...

GK Ultraphones.

I've used a few pairs for years, (a few pairs, NOT because they have broken, but because I keep different pairs in different places) never a problem!!!!!! But if there ever is a problem, he will fix them. Made (very well) by a drummer for musicians. And I have never had any cord problems. I use them for everything, sessions, practice, teaching, occasionally on stage, yard work, travel, casual listening.....And I don't baby them.

One of the best purchases that have ever made!
MSG

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Start with the best drum isolation phones, and you'll never have to buy anything else...

GK Ultraphones.

I've used a few pairs for years, (a few pairs, NOT because they have broken, but because I keep different pairs in different places) never a problem!!!!!! But if there ever is a problem, he will fix them. Made (very well) by a drummer for musicians. And I have never had any cord problems. I use them for everything, sessions, practice, teaching, occasionally on stage, yard work, travel, casual listening.....And I don't baby them.

MSG
Man, I saw those. I have been looking into those for a few weeks. Had a pair in my cart today. Held off purchasing until I ran this through you guys. I did pick up another two sets of Vic Firth V2 phones today. That will provide backup until I figure out THE set.
Thanks for this recommendation.

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a set of Bowers and Wilkens that I have had for awhile now, fantastic headphones. Pricey but I’m hard on them and no problems!

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use a set of cheapish in-ears (MEEaudio M7pro's) and put some heavy duty workmans muffs over the top.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The GK Ultrapbones are the best IMHO but a nice option for less dough are the Direct Sound EX-29 headphones - very comfortable and 29 dB isolation .

MusicianMagic

Reaction score
Howdy

I am seeking yet another set of headphones specifically designed for drumming isolation. My hearing is shot and I can't use just any old set of cans when I sit behind the kit.
I go through a set of phones about every two plus years.
I go a different route
I use my IEM's (Westone UM Pro 50 but cheaper ones would work) & wear rifle earmuffs over them. My drum kit is always mic'd using cheap mics into my mixer & I plug my phone or iPod in the mixer as well. I hear very little of the drums directly. Get to keep volume way down and get to mix music and drums to taste. My IEM's are 5 driver but even if I use my cheaper set the quality is much better than Vic Firth & most headphones I've tried made for drums.

Reaction score
The GK Ultrapbones are the best IMHO but a nice option for less dough are the Direct Sound EX-29 headphones - very comfortable and 29 dB isolation .
Direct Sound=$119 vs. Ultraphones= $240 for a far superior product that the manufacturer will stand behind if they ever break. Not even a question for me.

Also, I always go the headphone route because my audiologist is still not convinced that in-ears are not bad for your ears. He is one of the best around! He cites the close proximity to your ear drum membrane, combined with the sealed aspect of the ear canal, creating too much sound pressure level. I've heard this elsewhere as well. Who knows if the audiologists that think this are correct or not, but I'll always be safer than sorry with my ears.

MSG

Last edited:

owr

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered a set of GK Ultras on Sat night based on a similar recent thread. I did some searching around elsewhere, and the consensus I often found is that there are GK ultras at the top of the heap and then some others fighting it out for second place. That was enough for me. If you can afford them, seems the way to go. Thanks to many on this thread that were on the other one as well and weighed in. I'm surprisingly excited for this purchase to arrive.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
From almost day one(1970) I used Koss full ear cover headphones with earplugs. In the 80's I started using Realistic Nova Pro full ear cover headphones with ear plugs. And thats what I am still using. Blocks most of the drums out but can still them and I can keep the volume in the headphone volume very low.

AJMcHardy

Reaction score
Beyerdynamic DT 770 is my choice. I've used them for the last twenty years (I'm on my second pair).
Very comfortable, great isolation and fantastic sound.
They can sound a bit hyped in the bottom and top end but I'm ok with that.
They are available in a couple of different impedances depending on what you're driving them with.

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can anyone share their thoughts on the attenuation of the ultras? I have the Vic Firths, and the snare and cymbals sound decent through them but the tom sound boomy.

prplx

Reaction score
I go a different route
I use my IEM's (Westone UM Pro 50 but cheaper ones would work) & wear rifle earmuffs over them. My drum kit is always mic'd using cheap mics into my mixer & I plug my phone or iPod in the mixer as well. I hear very little of the drums directly. Get to keep volume way down and get to mix music and drums to taste. My IEM's are 5 driver but even if I use my cheaper set the quality is much better than Vic Firth & most headphones I've tried made for drums.
I do the same thing for rehearsing. Shure 425 in ears, covered by ear muff on top of them, plugged into a mixer where I also have my Yahama EAD and phone plugged in.

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Beyerdynamic DT 770 is my choice. I've used them for the last twenty years (I'm on my second pair).
Very comfortable, great isolation and fantastic sound.
They can sound a bit hyped in the bottom and top end but I'm ok with that.
They are available in a couple of different impedances depending on what you're driving them with.
Other than becoming spoiled with my IEM's, this ^^^^ all day long. My guitarist has had that pair (250 ohm) and they are outstanding if you want an over the ears option.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I go a different route
I do the same thing with the riffle cans. It works great!

Browny

Reaction score
I use a set of Shure SE215s. I find them really comfortable, provided I haven't gone too many weeks in between use, then it can take half an hour or so for me to get used to them again. I've recently replaced the cord, I like that the earphones can be disconnected. They're also my go-to headphones for flying, just block out all other noise. For just general 'walking around' listening I actually like the corded apple ones.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

GK Ultraphones.

MSG
I agree 100% with all of this. I first heard about GK Ultraphones on this forum, many years ago, and then Tommy Wells (RIP) wrote me and talked me into buying a pair.
I've never looked back, they are the best drum isolation headphones I've ever had, and I had tried just about all the others.
Made by a drummer! (And a darn good one, at that)

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Direct Sound=$119 vs. Ultraphones= $240 for a far superior product that the manufacturer will stand behind if they ever break. Not even a question for me.

Also, I always go the headphone route because my audiologist is still not convinced that in-ears are not bad for your ears. He is one of the best around! He cites the close proximity to your ear drum membrane, combined with the sealed aspect of the ear canal, creating too much sound pressure level. I've heard this elsewhere as well. Who knows if the audiologists that think this are correct or not, but I'll always be safer than sorry with my ears.

MSG
Excellent point!