drumming is becoming boring to me

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Last night I sat down behind one of my beautiful vintage kits and tried to have fun playing but could not. I have been without a band for over a year and most likely will never be in a band again. I say this because my old band played very few gigs and I liked that, I dont want to be in some dingy bar every weekend until 2 Am especially if I want to stay married. I run a business that takes most of my time and when I do have time I like to spend it with my wife traveling around the U.S.
I own several vintage kits, snares and cymbals and think why, why does someone like me have all of this gear when all I do is sit in the basement and try to play rudiments that I have struggled with for years. I am starting to think and realize that maybe I was not cut out to be a musician. Geez, I hate to say that but it just might be true. One thing for sure is I need to sell off most of my gear, I know there are working drummers out there that dont have close to what I own and that just feels wrong, like I am some kind of a drum junkie that has the goods but cant play worth a damn, I dont deserve it.
So, Im trying to figure out what to do, keep a kit around to bang on when I get the urge I guess? Or just simply give up! Well I cant give up. When I started back into drums about 8 years ago I was 49 years old. I told myself I would be so great by the time I am 60. I am now 57 and sure I am better but I feel like I have hit the top of my ability. But then I hear professional drummers say they never stop learning, and I believe that. So I will most likely stay with it for another three years at least. So now I am looking at youtube to give me ideas on something new to work on, hopefully keeping me interested. Seems like I play the same thing every night, I need something new.
Anyway, instead of playing tonight (I usually play while my wife showers) I felt concerned enough to write this thread. I do want to continue to play, I just thought that reaching out to other drummers might spark some new ideas or at least someone else has been in the place that I am now and can relate to this. This forum has always given me the help and inspiration that I have need in the past so I though what the heck, spill it all out and see what come of this.

Thank you
Jeff C

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi, maybe try some on line lesson videos like Carter Mcleans 4 hands drumming or Mike Johnston on line videos....both drummers will take you up a notch.
Try different things...if you play righty, try lefty and vice versa.....play to music you have never tried before...in short challenge yourself.
one thing is for sure, when it comes to a musical instrument....sky is the limit !!

Ghostin one

Reaction score
Find another band, maybe?

When I was hunting for a band, I talked to a few that were very clear about not playing bars until the wee hours, and they still seemed to keep busy with daytime shows at wineries, breweries, car lots, etc.

Joe61

Reaction score
Jeff, I can relate to everything you are saying in your post. You got this far as a drummer for a reason. Something drew you to it. I would not throw in the towel yet. De cluter your drums. Keep your best set. The one you like the most. Find three or four other guys that have day jobs. Learn a dozen cover tunes and then have a small party and play for the audience. Gig a few times a year. Do it for fun and nothing else. I bet you will find your purpose. Even if that purpose is for your own joy. Playing drums the best I can for a small audience is the best therapy for our busy lives.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sometimes you just need a break. I stepped away for a little bit. What I realized is that it was my definition of self. I am a musician. It doesn't matter if I'm a pro or if I can do blazing fast paraflamdohickies. It's just what I am. When I stepped away I thought of it everyday, and after reconciling my differences with music I figured out how to get it back in my life in a way that was right for me. So take a break, or play in a different band or in different places, or as someone above said challenge yourself. But don't quit without some thought and a fight. And if you do it sounds like you have a market place here for your gear! Haha

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm sure it will come back (the fun!) I've played for like 35 years and had a long break in between because of my career and "Life". I didn't even have any gear anymore because I had set it aside this passion and had sold everything. But all along I knew something was missing in my life. Finally I had the time and ability to get back in the game and built my dream kit and now I can't spend a day without it. (And I don't gig, for me it's a hobby). What I'm trying to say is that the very long break I took, built a fire inside me that ignited the passion like never before. So if you take a break, it's OK, just don't sell the drums. That's the mistake that I made. Also try mixing things up when you can on your gear since you say you have a lot. Switch cymbals, heads, add some electronics like triggers, sample pad etc.. Keep it exciting! Maybe you should find another band that has the same interests & schedule that you need. You were already in a band which means you can drum. Try playing other music as well. I subscribe to Amazon Unlimited music and the library of songs is endless. No way you would play the same thing everyday by having something like that. Please don't give up!

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Like others have said, take a break for a while. I'm in the middle of a hiatus myself. I'm just not inspired right now, and I'm pursuing other interests. I know I'll get back into it eventually.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
You need drumming to "feel good" to you as an exercise and as an expression. Like swinging a "golf club" does to some or "throwing a football" does to some. Going to be a "sport activity".

Now if you look at music like that shelf behind the Bar where all the booze is stacked. Where have you been picking from.

Raise your eyes up. See that stuff at the Top Shelf going from one end to the other? You ever play in there?

O I don't mean big amps and big production .. I mean a Human with four limbs two and a drumset. Up there on the Top Shelf.
You see Ornette Coleman up there? Drummer was Billy Higgins. Wait there's another Ornette Coleman. Drummer was Ed Blackwell. Have you ever tasted any of these? Old And New Dreams. And there's one called " This Is Our Music". Like 5 or 6 more Ornette Coleman's on that Top Shelf. All with just a man and a drumset.
Behind there is a Tony Williams. Vintage 1964. Hmm. Ever taste that? Solo albums. One is Fuchsia Swing Song. Hmm. Ever hear of it?

If these don't take you to another level or if it's just not going to interest you.. then do what you gotta do.

Titletown Tim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jeff,

I’m sure many of us here can relate to your current funk- I know I can...

What inspired you to play drums to begin with? Was it a particular drummer, band or song, or a cool looking set of drums in a music store window? Something gave you a spark and set the wheels in motion for you- it’s still there, you just can’t see it at the moment because your in a rut. Identifying what drew you to drumming and made it fun in the first place is a good place to revisit.

Purging excess gear, reducing clutter and freeing up some fun money can be a good stress reliever too.

Good luck!

Tim

Pimp-a-diddle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think that eventually the goal IS to have interaction with other musicians. I think you need to find parameters that are appealing to you and that you can confidently commit to. Also, if you're feeling a slump regarding your abilities, then it's time to expand them. There are few things more satisfying than conquering a complex concept or chart, and knowing that you can play said material with feel, finesse, and conviction. I suggest finding a teacher that will hold you accountable, and let them drive you and push you.

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Two things:
1- If you're playing the same stuff over and over again, you need to find new material. Buy Tommie Igoe's Groove Essentials and start learning those grooves, especially the Latin stuff. The change in style will motivate you to want to learn more and it'll be fun again.
2- I agree with others that say get with others and play. There's a surprising number of people out there that do not want to gig and only want to make and record music. Get with them. If gigs happen down the line, then cool, if not, that's ok too.
Peace

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you thank you thank you ( sounds like Gomer Pyle) for ALL of your input, thanks for taking the time to read my long post and responding with such detail! I will start by jumping in the shower with the wife! Then, take a little break from music, I think that is good advice. Like I said myself "I cant just quit" so a little break will give me time to think about it. Probably wont take long before I really miss playing and get back to it. In the mean time Im gonna be looking at youtube for some new ideas. About a year ago I discovered spotify (from this forum) and have discovered numerous new bands, some bluegrass but I find the jam bands like Twiddle and Widespread Panic to be the most enjoying, now that type of music would be a huge challenge. I knew this thread would help me mentally because you guys are the best, thank you!
And, you guys will have the first opportunity to buy my drums. I already have sold a few kits, its been hard to see them go but I know that needs to happen. Problem is, which one to keep.

Thanks again
Jeff C

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think it all starts with *the fire*...passion and desire. That's what leads anyone to seek renewal, inspiration, learning, when it comes to anything.

Fire being a natural element, the desire to do something and do it well tends to be a natural, innate feeling. It's just there...it guides you through the stages. You don't force it. It may burn low sometimes, but the flame doesn't go out.

If you don't have that fire, then it may be time to ask questions about why and clarify what it is you want. I think the main question is: Do I have the need and desire to say something and express something with this instrument? (And, if so, what is it?)

I will say that, for myself, when it comes to drums, other than practice, it would be very difficult to not be able to play with other people. I also play other instruments and CAN often enjoy those instruments alone. But, the rhythmic nature of drumming demands collaboration and ensemble playing for me. Same with playing bass; it just seems meant to be played with others.

So, it may just be that what's missing here for you is that ensemble experience and that chemistry, having other people push you to new levels, and having that as an outlet for real expression.

Latest posts