Drumming is Becoming Boring to Me

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well its been a while and I wanted to give an update.

I really slaked off on playing for about a month then gradually got back into it. I did not look at online drum lessons one bit, technology wares me down sometimes and I just wanted to get my own mind focused on what I really need to do. I think its the best decision I have made hands down. I come to realize that my general concentration needs work, so I just put my mind into simple beats and fills keeping my bass drum pounding on 1&3 or 2&4 or 1234. I work on that and add some rudiments into the fill, nice and easy so every note is heard.
I did consider going to a jam , open mic thing and playing with strangers. I know that would be great experience but for now I just want to improve on my own. What has helped me tremendously is my jamming guitar night every Thursday night with my old band and a few other guys. Playing guitar just makes me want to be a musician that much more, so it really help me with my drumming.
So in a nutshell, thanks again for the support and I am happy to report that I am absolutely not bored with drums, loving every minute of it.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
In my experience, the toughest thing about the band business for semi-pros is finding band mates who are on the same page. Part of being on the same page involves agreeing on the song list, but a lot of it involves synchronized ambitions. Some members aspire to make it big with original music, others want to gig as often as possible playing covers, some don't want to gig much, and not a few are conflicted, wanting to gig but feeling that they shouldn't because of their family commitments. Add the drunks and the druggies, and assembling a band where the members are on the same page is difficult.

My favorite band of all time among those I played in was a band of then older guys (30s) who decided that they enjoyed playing but didn't want to play that often. They therefore raised their price to the point where they were only picking up a gig or two a month. When they played, they therefore made good money--and more importantly, had fun. Of all the bands I played in, I thought those guys had it figured out the best.

But finding band mates like these is difficult, and I only stumbled on them once. In fact, I basically quit the band business 30 years ago in exasperation with it. Now that I'm contemplating getting back into it (and am even lazier than I was 30 years ago) I definitely know that playing bars till the wee hours of the morning is NOT something I aspire to. To be half drunk 30 miles away at 2 AM needing to get me and my drums home isn't something I care to do. And I especially don't care to be 200 miles away sleeping in a hostel. Neither do I want to haul my drums all over creation for rehearsals (that often aren't productive anyway, since others arrive late, show up drunk, etc.). And if musicians say they want to record original songs, I pass. That's too ambitious for me.

Though after a dozen years without even owning drums, I frankly felt incomplete. Drums were my tools, and not even owning a set was going too far. I also found a weekly jam session near me that I usually play in. I don't feel that's quite enough, but it's something. The pluses are that I don't have to haul my own drums and can leave when I want to. Also, sometimes the songs actually go well and playing is fulfilling. I'd like to hook up with some other musicians on the same page and put together a band of our own, but I'm not yet meeting the right players. (Finding a person to front a band is the hardest; I could assemble sidemen in an instant, but we still need someone to front the band.) But that's OK. I find it better to be playing some than not at all, and getting back into it is a kind of nice social thing. Coming up I was always hanging out with musicians, and now that I am again, I realize that I kind of miss them.

As for acquiring gear, my observation is that this is normal with age. I would bet that most shop owners are former players who became interested in the gear over the years and decided to do that. I personally resist it--one drum set is plenty for me--but I've been known to have an excess of cymbals. Plus, it's not really a bad financial move. Most gear holds its value, and some of it appreciates.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well its been a while and I wanted to give an update.

I really slaked off on playing for about a month then gradually got back into it. I did not look at online drum lessons one bit, technology wares me down sometimes and I just wanted to get my own mind focused on what I really need to do. I think its the best decision I have made hands down. I come to realize that my general concentration needs work, so I just put my mind into simple beats and fills keeping my bass drum pounding on 1&3 or 2&4 or 1234. I work on that and add some rudiments into the fill, nice and easy so every note is heard.
I did consider going to a jam , open mic thing and playing with strangers. I know that would be great experience but for now I just want to improve on my own. What has helped me tremendously is my jamming guitar night every Thursday night with my old band and a few other guys. Playing guitar just makes me want to be a musician that much more, so it really help me with my drumming.
So in a nutshell, thanks again for the support and I am happy to report that I am absolutely not bored with drums, loving every minute of it.
Sometimes a little break from things is good. It builds up the fire again and you realize how much you missed it. Once a drummer, always a drummer! Glad your back!

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Man, you are young. Keep at it. If nothing else, as a hobbyist. I am 3 months from turning 71. I still go up to my 'drum room' and 'play'. Admittedly, not to an audience, and tho I would like to 'one more time', Life Is Good. I see it as exercising mentally and physically. Plus, it is fun.

And you know what...?? I still find myself buying cymbals.

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I play other instruments as well. Drums are my primary instrument and always have been, but I focus on my bass playing when I'm not "feeling it" on drums.

kjdrummer25

Reaction score
I’ve been playing since jr high and I’m now 52. Will play till I cannot anymore. My band broke up recently and i signed up for Todd Sucherman’s class on Drumeo. I also love playing through Jim Riley’s book Survival Guide for the Modern Drummer. Tons of drum-less play alongs that are well produced. Soon I will look for another band but in the meantime I am learning new things and old things are sounding better. Stay with it! If you are like most of us drumming chose you. Also meet some other drummers and offer to sub in their bands. It’s a great way to get the occasional gig and always play with different musicians.

Dan K

Reaction score
This "boring drum thing" WILL pass.
Drumming was getting old for me after 30 years of playing so I added in the bass - and got so busy on bass that I did not touch drums for 18 years. Out of the blue I was asked to play drums for a church in 9 days. That was a bit to short of a time to blow off 18 years of rust but I did it! I'm still primarily a bass player but am working on getting my chops back on drums.

Take a SHORT break and then go back to drums for the sheer fun of it!@

Dan

dale w miller

Reaction score
In my case much of this crossroad comes down to a couple of things:

1. I have a certain amount of expectations be it the goals & standards on the business side and the direction, my role, and the quality of the music. I only play original music, so I need to feel I’m getting something from it again if I’m going to put in time to develop an act.

2. I recognize that no matter how much I practice on my own, I’m only going to be so good. This can get into a pretty deep self assessment of one’s ability, but I think the idea that everyone can be great if they just put in the time is very misleading.

3. Taking 1 & 2 into play, I find practicing on my own to be quite unfulfilling unless I have a band I’m proud of in which I can create parts inspiring me to sit behind my kit and do so.

If I don’t have that, I’d just as well not play. I’m not going to ruin the thing I loved the most simply just to keep doing it.

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can relate a bit, but my problem is that I just can't seem to get back with a band that do gigs, too much competition i think, even though I play twice weekly big band rehearsals. I've been without transport for a few months but will soon be getting a cheap car again, so I will be looking around again. Just an idea, -I haven't really started on this book yet but it seems very helpfull.

Attachments

Rock Salad

Reaction score
I sure like hearing "top shelf" skills, but trying to play them sure kills my motivation.
Working on perfecting my "house draft" pull is my fun time.
Maybe if i was younger, but shoot- lots of the monster players were already killing it as teens.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe if i was younger, but shoot- lots of the monster players were already killing it as teens.
A fairly common thread running through most "world-class" skilled people. Their genetic skills are already quite obvious in their teens or earlier (academics, athletes, musicians, etc.). There are always a few exceptions, but not many. The 17-19 age for drummers has plenty of pro's over the decades.

Latest posts