Drumming skills applied away from the drums

Barden

Reaction score
The other day I was grilling corn on the cob. I like to grill the corn in the husk, then lop the ends off before shucking the result. I have a large stump near the grill that serves as a good chopping block. I use a 10" chefs knife like a machete to lop the ends off. As I was doing this, I recognized that this was using drumming skills. I was comfortable raising the knife in a small moeller-like whip stroke and hitting the corn with some amount of precision and speed. Obviously not a lesson in culinary knife skills, but drumming principles transferred.

Anybody have similar observations of applying drumming skills away from the drums? Maybe this will just result in a list of people hitting things. Happy weekend.

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
While mountain biking I came across a method to preserve energy for long flat stretches that reminds me of double bass drumming. This would probably work very well for road bikers. I would "accent" every third crank with my legs. By accenting I mean I would make that a harder stroke and the next two would be light power. This would smooth out to a nice speed but would give each leg two strokes to cool off before the harder one. Accented triplets with the legs on a bike makes sense if you try it.

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Other than using my good sense of time and rhythm when playing bass or guitar, I can't really think of any other area where I apply my drumming skills.
I can, however, trace some skills/attributes that may have made it easier to play the drums back to when I used to fence as a kid (I fenced from I was 9-14, and started drumming at 12), like limb independence, and balance. Also controlling the tip of your weapon is as important as stick control; our old-school Polish instructor would often yell "spitzen, spitzen!" ("spidsen" = "the tip" in Danish) during lessons if you weren't accurate enough.
After 20 years of drumming I still only play French grip on my ride cymbal, because it's almost the same position and technique as a sabre...

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In driving a car I got into the habit of left foot braking - while keeping the right foot in close proximity to the acc. pedal at all times. It certainly didn't hurt that I had a more developed left foot from years of hi hat playing....and considerable double bass.

Targalx

Reaction score
I have an immensely powerful grip for an otherwise non-muscular physique. I'm the guy people ask to open jars that have really stuck lids. I attribute it to years of developing my stick grip playing rock and my strong wrists.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
I'm remodeling a house currently, doing the painting, floating flooring and some of the finish carpentry.
Accuracy in the repeated tapping of things tapped, and the ability to use my hands for different things at the same time might be drumming skills. I can paint, hammer and saw with either hand but I don't work 45 on and 15 off, I'd never get done.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Listening. Just like with drumming, I've had to work at the practice of listening for my spot and not "talking" too much.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
Others have made the same observation, but I also have a fair degree of ambidexterity. I do a lot of handyman work, and I'm fairly adept using tools with either hand. (Being left-handed in a right-handed world forces a degree of ambidexterity as well.)
And I kill at Whack-a-Mole too.
No one has mentioned dancing. I'm a decent dancer. Drumming is just dancing while seated.
It's probably true of all musicians, rather than drummer specific, but I think my reaction-time behind the wheel is faster than most, even at my advanced age.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm remodeling a house currently, doing the painting, floating flooring and some of the finish carpentry.
Accuracy in the repeated tapping of things tapped, and the ability to use my hands for different things at the same time might be drumming skills. I can paint, hammer and saw with either hand but I don't work 45 on and 15 off, I'd never get done.
Me too--I often need to use my left hand only to work certain tools around my farm or when working on my tractors/trucks/etc and it really comes in handy (even tho I am mainly right-handed)