Drumming while standing up!

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Have any of you tried playing while standing up? I've never done this, would probably mess up my back, anyways. But, look, Brad Elvis is killing it here! Edit: Check out about 2:10 to 3:00 for the coolest bits!!

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Okay, the song is a 2, but the execution is an 11!

Just fantastic playing. Never heard of them. Thanks for introducing me.

So good I had to sit down.

...seriously, I’ve tried to play standing and always fallen down trying. Dude just owned it!

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Gary Wallis of Floyd, Jarre does this for a long time too.

EB26A928-A3E6-49C6-8245-22D7ADEDB245.jpeg

D8728D1C-F359-4CDC-A40D-FC13B8E69ACC.jpeg

43B4350C-161F-4F9F-A1B4-7D319E845DB1.jpeg

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve seen it.
I tried it.
Didn’t like it.
Slim Jim Phantom did it successfully, but it was odd looking to me.

C66DB33F-62B8-4C75-8E87-39592311FAB3.jpeg

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A lot of rockabilly guys do it. Probably because of Slim Jim, but they also don't do a whole lot of high hat work. Mostly closed hats, the rim of the snare or the ride cymbal.

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Have any of you tried playing while standing up? I've never done this, would probably mess up my back, anyways. But, look, Brad Elvis is killing it here!
That really is an impressive performance - super tight. Aside from the drumming-while-standing (done with no awkwardness, very impressive), the SOUND of the drums is fantastic. Looks like Slingerland? The snare a 10-lugger? I am as impressed by the drums and the production of their sound as I am by the performance, which is saying something.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
The first drummer I ever saw do this was Randy Zehringer (Randy Z), Rick Derringer's brother, in the McCoys way back in the 60's.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Saw an Israeli husband-and-wife duo called Hank and Cupcakes a couple years back. Him on electric bass, her on a set of blue sparkle Yamaha BCAs. Super energetic performance. She stood/danced the whole time — while 8 months pregnant.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That really is an impressive performance - super tight. Aside from the drumming-while-standing (done with no awkwardness, very impressive), the SOUND of the drums is fantastic. Looks like Slingerland? The snare a 10-lugger? I am as impressed by the drums and the production of their sound as I am by the performance, which is saying something.
Yeah , WOW .....

kallen49

Reaction score
Serena Ryder’s former drummer Sekou Lumumba is featured in a Modern Drummer article with his standup kit, built in mics...great idea for small space gig

Way Out Wardell

Reaction score
I tried it in my rockabilly band (shades of Slim Jim) years ago but it was arduous after the third song. I also tried playing exclusively with brushes like Dickie Harrell of the Blue Caps but it just didn't cut through enough.
Brad Elvis rules, BTW!

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I've been told I'm a stand-up kinda guy, but I can't do the standing drumming thing. I tried it at a gig and two songs in I had to grab my throne. My left leg was burning from putting all my weight on it for just a few minutes. I like to use my hi hat too much too, so it's limiting for me. If done right it can look cool, but I can't do it right.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
After Slim Jim and the Stray Cats, I think this Jellyfish video was the second time I saw a drummer (Andy Stumer) standing up while playing on MTV—I really love this song, by the way (well, I love power pop in general):

Pibroch

Reaction score
Some great primal playing within this video:
Would love to drum like this in a band like this. (And stuff trying to play standing on one leg - I’m no masochist).

Last edited:

Latest posts