Drumming's Biggest Crab Apples: A Top 50 List in Progress

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPDATED: Inspired by Tom Sharpling’s excellent The Best Show podcast, let’s create the definitive list of Drumming’s Biggest Crab Apples!

#50Crabeapples nominees include Jerry Seinfeld, John McEnroe, Jerry Lewis and Mickey Dolenz!

Crab apples are wild, tart and have a sour aftertaste. The drumming personification of a crab apple is by Ginger Baker (Rock in Peace). He was an absolutely brilliant drummer, but any description of him includes words like “difficult,” “taciturn,” “curmudgeonly,” “prickly,” “aloof” and “angry.”

Yesterday, I started Drumming's Biggest Crab Apples with 10 contenders -- and I've added three new nominees in addition to ones you suggested (italics):

New Nominees: Mickey Dolenz, Marky Ramone, Peter Criss

Ginger Baker

Meg White

Travis Barker

Phil Collins

Buddy Rich

Phil Rudd

Jim Gordon

Don “No Contest” Henley

Joey Jordison

Gene Krupka

Mike Portnoy

Moe Tucker

Dave Weckl

Carl Palmer

Last edited:

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Inspired by Tom Sharpling’s excellent The Best Show podcast, let’s create the definitive list of Drumming’s Biggest Crab Apples!

Crab apples are wild, tart and have a sour aftertaste. The drumming personification of a crab apple is by Ginger Baker (Rock in Peace). He was an absolutely brilliant drummer, but any description of him includes words like “difficult,” “taciturn,” “curmudgeonly,” “prickly,” “aloof” and “angry.”

Could Baker also be fun and warm? Absolutely, but while he could energize a party, there was always a reservoir of darkness and menace under the surface.

To those who will say, “I met Crab Apple #3, and he was a dream while signing autographs for fans.” Sure, but please remember that we all put on a public face that can vanish when it’s just the band leader and the band on a private bus with a six-hour trip ahead.

With that overly long pre-amble, let’s hear your nominations for Drumming’s Biggest Crab Apples. I’ll start with 10 contenders (not ranked):

Ginger Baker

Meg White

Travis Barker

Phil Collins

Buddy Rich

Phil Rudd

Jim Gordon

Don “No Contest” Henley

Joey Jordison

Gene Krupka
Poor Phil Rudd. You threaten to kill a few people and suddenly they give you a bad name. And if you actually do yikes

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I studied with Gary Chester for 3 years and knew him almost 5 years. I hung with him on many occasions; lunches, dinners, drum clinics, outside walks. I loved that man. When he drank though, his tongue let loose with the most cutting of remarks. But aside from that Gary had a heart of gold and I miss him terribly.

Last edited:

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Add Weckel.

Known to be moody.

I believe Bermuda Schwartz made a comment about him being pretty snobby at a NAMM show.

Last edited:

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I studied with Gary Chester for 3 years and knew him almost 5 years. I hung with him on many occasions; lunches, dinners, drum clinics, outside walks. I loved that man. When he drank though, his tongue let loose with the most cutting of remarks that you swore they were coming from the devil cause he was the nastiest S.O.B. to be around.
Johnny Carson was a known [email protected]
Mike Wallace asked about his drinking on 60 Minutes and Carson said he didn't handle it well and that's the reason he quit drinking.

Last edited:

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Besides Mr. Baker, I’ve never heard anything about any of them. I’ve never met any of them either so idk.

Tcat

Reaction score
Just judging from Tommy Igoe’s social media posts over the years, he seems like a pretty close-minded and judgemental individual.

On the other end, I have met Rod Morgenstein, Morgan Rose and Todd Suchermann and all seemed approachable and receptive. Steve Smith and Dave Weckl somewhat less.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Was your number three Travis or don? I met and hung out with Travis for awhile and he was super nice we talked drums music tattoos. He invited me on his bus hooked me up with clothes etc. granted this was over ten years ago plus44 tour
I’d be thrilled to meet Barker! During this interview with the hilarious Nardwuar, he seems as glum as he looks in your photo.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
H
I’d be thrilled to meet Barker! During this interview with the hilarious Nardwuar, he seems as glum as he looks in your photo.
he Use to smoke a lot of weed and pills. Which I can def say made him glum. When I met him we shared a blunt. You can def tell in the interview he’s high as hell lol but I agree those questions asked were to get a certain reaction from him. He’s actually pretty chill. His book is a good read as well

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anybody.
Are we supposed to be congenial all the time....not. We all are stinky-doo-doo-heads at some point(s) in time.
Also Nardwuar is a work unto himself and I will leave it at that.
bt
Def. with out meeting them its not fair to judge if they’re a butthole or not and I’m sure the last thing they want is dumb questions asked or people getting in there face just to do it. I met the drummer from all time low rain Dawson and he was a straight up butt hole in every way. He later apologized to which I said hey you could of had a bad day no biggie but first impressions of someone at a big level is everything to a normal fan.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can honestly say growing up to Travis barker and loving his style (outgrowing it in my later years) I would of been crushed as a fan of he would
Of been a jerk.