Drumming's Biggest Crab Apples: A Top 50 List in Progress

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love him but I’ve heard several stories about Tony Williams being standoffish and kind of ”above it” which he was but it’s still a letdown, I’m sure. I think he just didn’t suffer fools at all, especially with the Trio Of Doom stories and clashing with Jaco, who was an insane drug addict (in addition to being a genius.)

I used to work in a drum store in NYC and Max Weinberg was a real jerk. Oh well, doesn’t mean I can’t steal some licks.
I sense from interviews early Max was not the guy I’d invite for dinner but later on he became a nicer guy....maybe tied to Bruce reassembling the band in 99? I’ve met him several times in past ten years, seems decent enough. But then I never mention slipknot :)

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gene Krupa does not belong on that list. I had the great pleasure of meeting and talking with him in 1963. Anyone familiar with his career would agree with me, I’m sure.
Krupka should not be ranked at the top of the list. He seems amiable enough in this interview until the end when he turns sour on the subject of rock and roll.

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
Some classmates had the exact same experience at PASIC long ago.
Word gets out and these things usually come back to bite you in the ass. My dad used to say, "When you start thinking you're better than everybody else, just remember, there is always someone out there, who can take your place."

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Most of this is thoroughly ridiculous. “Famous” people have no obligation to be friendly with you. Maybe judging their behavior by what you expect of them is self-centered and disregards the effort they have put into providing an experience for you. You paid for a recording or a concert. You didn’t pay them to be your friend. That takes giving on both sides. If you run up to them after a gig or try to intervene in their pre gig prep you get what you get. That wasn’t part of the deal! Most likely you have no idea what that persons day, tour or life is like. Maybe stand back, don’t take it personally and consider the situation they may be in.

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
Most of this is thoroughly ridiculous. “Famous” people have no obligation to be friendly with you. Maybe judging their behavior by what you expect of them is self-centered and disregards the effort they have put into providing an experience for you. You paid for a recording or a concert. You didn’t pay them to be your friend. That takes giving on both sides. If you run up to them after a gig or try to intervene in their pre gig prep you get what you get. That wasn’t part of the deal! Most likely you have no idea what that persons day, tour or life is like. Maybe stand back, don’t take it personally and consider the situation they may be in.
Yes, they don't have to be nice to you, they dont have have to do anything to you - that's why they are judged by it.

I am with you on not judging someone by 1 interaction though. However, if you hear multiple stories about Weckl being a grump or Porcaro being the coolest, the portrait begins to paint itself.

Last edited:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Yes, Multijd, it's completely absurd and absolutely harmless to tag someone as a bit of a grump.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
My father played trumpet, and loved Gene Krupa. He met Gene at the Park Plaza hotel while working as a bell hop. Must of made a lasting impression. He named my older brother after him. :)

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
Jaco was just plain clinically insane.
Peter Erskines father who was an MD diagnosed him as manic schizo.
That's true but starting your morning with his favorite mix of "cocaine and champagne" did not help.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's true but starting your morning with his favorite mix of "cocaine and champagne" did not help.
Lots of mentally ill self medicate with illegal drugs.
From what I've read of Jaco,he went off his meds and had an episode at the nightclub where the bouncer killed him.
Anti psychotics can make you feel like crap.
Knew some folks that had a tough time on them in that the side effects (ie Thorazine shuffle) were just debilitating.

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
Lots of mentally ill self medicate with illegal drugs.
From what I've read of Jaco,he went off his meds and had an episode at the nightclub where the bouncer killed him.
Anti psychotics can make you feel like crap.
Knew some folks that had a tough time on them in that the side effects (ie Thorazine shuffle) were just debilitating.

The above is the most thorough article I've read on the demise of Jaco, a truly transformational figure in music - demons doesnt begin to describe it. It even has details that arent in books on his life. The sad truth is that although Jaco died at 35, he was pretty done by 32 with his bad reputation firmly in place. The majority of the great Jaco moments we love happened when he was in his 20's aside from the Live In New York tapes. To your point, many mentally ill people self-medicate but the last thing Jaco needed was coke.

Last edited:

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

The above is the most thorough article I've read on the demise of Jaco, a truly transformational figure in music - demons doesnt begin to describe it. It even has details that arent in books on his life. The sad truth is that although Jaco died at 35, he was pretty done by 32 with his bad reputation firmly in place. The majority of the great Jaco moments we love happened when he was in his 20's aside form the Live In New York tapes. To your point, many mentally ill people self-medicate but the last thing Jaco needed was coke.
Looks he was one of those mean alcoholics.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

The above is the most thorough article I've read on the demise of Jaco, a truly transformational figure in music - demons doesnt begin to describe it. It even has details that arent in books on his life. The sad truth is that although Jaco died at 35, he was pretty done by 32 with his bad reputation firmly in place. The majority of the great Jaco moments we love happened when he was in his 20's aside from the Live In New York tapes. To your point, many mentally ill people self-medicate but the last thing Jaco needed was coke.
Wow, that article was riveting! It was long, but I couldn’t put it down. Your right, it was the most thorough rendering I have read on his life and death. Geniuses can often be a crazy bunch and man, he was out there! He was on the edge everyday. It must have been hell to be around him. I guess that’s what makes them so different. I wonder what happened to the guy that murdered him? Second degree murder seems like an over charge. Manslaughter at most I think.

Thanks for posting that!

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
On the other side of the coin, although he isn’t as famous as the others mentioned in this thread, Duffy Jackson is one of the most personable people I’ve ever met, drummer, musician or otherwise. His joy of playing music is reflected in his personality. I think his Dad had a lot to do with that. But, I haven’t seen him in a while. If he’s gotten grumpy over the years he’s entitled.

Another super friendly musician is Othello Molineaux (steel drums), also someone whose joy of playing music carries over to his personality.

Last edited: