Drums and the big freeze

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I keep my gigging sets in my garage (snares and cymbals in the house), and that's where they sat during the Covidgeddon here in Texas. As it happens, I have a couple of gigs coming up with my big band, and even though I was confident they'd survive okay it seemed prudent to check. So late last week I took all the drums out of their bags to check their condition. As expected, they are all just fine, with no cracks in shells or wrap, and they're even still in tune.

Back in the 70s my old Gretsch kit had to reside in the band truck in outside temps from -10 to +110 F, and were still round when I sold them 20 years later.

Others may worry about keeping drums in the garage, but I can vouch for Gretsch drums' indifference to wide temperature and humidity ranges.

Attachments

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I can vouch for Ludwig Vistalite's indifference to temperature extremes. Back in the '70s my kit sometimes sat for days outdoors in our equipment truck in Minnesota, in temps that ranged from –40°F to +105°F, and the drums suffered no ill effects whatsoever.

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As long as the temp and humidity changes aren’t drastic *and rapid*, drums can be stored in uninsulated structures year round. I just bought a 30’s floor tom from a guy who stores it in a box truck in his back yard. Year round. IN CENTRAL MAINE. no issues, which is insane- the WMP is crack free!

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
About 2008,i found the motherload of vintage drums in Reno.
This guy collected anything musical.
He told he had Rogers,Gretsch,Slingerland, Ludwig's up in his garage attic,crawled up there with him and he did!
Except it was over 100° in there at mid May!
The Rogers suffered the worse,cracks,bubbles,the others were ok but the heat was unbearable.
I repeatedly told him hed oughta move them.
I bought a 20,12,15 Rogers from him.
But,the rest are still there,he didnt care.
He also very hard to deal with,until he saw the cash I had.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Reaction score
For probably 40 years until COVID my Ludwig drums were stored in my pickup with fiberglass cover or 5x8 trailer 24/7/365 in the Austin Texas area with freezing temperatures to the over 100's. with the same results. Those drums are just as good as new today.

sherm