drums connected to synths

john price

Reaction score
I connected my e.drum-kit to a couple of synths and was pleased with the results. Is anyone else doing this? If not, then I really recommend you try, it's a lot of fun. Here's what it can sound like;

john price

Reaction score
Thanks, yeah, you need a bit of melodic knowledge to assign notes that are going to work together to the drum pads. Keeping it simple seems easiest. i'm only using a 5 note scale at the moment

RichS

Reaction score
I connected my e.drum-kit to a couple of synths and was pleased with the results. Is anyone else doing this? If not, then I really recommend you try, it's a lot of fun. Here's what it can sound like;
This is great. This is something I want to try. I'm an old fart, 70, just getting into electronic drums. Have played acoustic all my life. I have a Yamaha DTX500 module, MIDI out only, and have tried to hook it up to a Yamaha PSR-295 keyboard that has a USB midi in/out. So I have hooked up a USB MIDI Host to add MIDI in and out jacks. So far I can't make them talk to each other. Can you point me to some information that will help. Thanks

john price

Reaction score
Two main possibilities come to mind. The drum module will be sending out midi on a specific channel ( my alesis nitro is channel 10 ). Find out your module's channel and then go to functions in your keyboard and set what is probably called " remote channel" to that number.
The other possible problem is that drum modules messages are too short to trigger most sounds. You have to either find sounds that have a natural longer release/decay time ( like pads, strings etc), or in functions increase the release/decay of the sound you want to use.
Other than that, the only thing i can think of is that it could be to do with your usb midi host. Does it have some option switches on it?
I hope this helps, let me know how you get on

RichS

Reaction score
Two main possibilities come to mind. The drum module will be sending out midi on a specific channel ( my alesis nitro is channel 10 ). Find out your module's channel and then go to functions in your keyboard and set what is probably called " remote channel" to that number.
The other possible problem is that drum modules messages are too short to trigger most sounds. You have to either find sounds that have a natural longer release/decay time ( like pads, strings etc), or in functions increase the release/decay of the sound you want to use.
Other than that, the only thing i can think of is that it could be to do with your usb midi host. Does it have some option switches on it?
I hope this helps, let me know how you get on
John, thanks. I'll try again and reply.

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been doing this for years. Anytime I start in the morning, I end up late to work!

I midi a ton of stuff and play around with diff sounds - sometimes I change the note numbers as you have to scales or at least notes that sound good together. I should do more of this but I have enough fun layering just crazy percussive sounds. Synths, samples, softsynths....

OK, here's a cool secret. Buy one of these and put it in between your module out and a synth: https://tinyurl.com/y8a9gs8c Connect a sustain pedal. Have fun!

Zach Danziger's been doing some cool things that go a bit beyond what I've done. But I think he has some programmers helping him with Max programming. And he's a great player.

Latest posts