Drums for Quick Gig

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I play with my 11 y.o.'s acoustic guitar group. Bunch of kids from 7 - 17 y.o. and I am a volunteer instructor and the "house drummer." We play surf songs, Americana, blue grass, pop, etc. and it's all acoustic. A few people plug in acoustics but usually no bass.

We have a holiday Christmas gig this Friday but the set is 15-20 minutes only. It's one of those hurry on, through and hurry off gigs. Although I am waiting to hear back from the main instructor to see if there will be a house kit, but it's likely not based on last year's gig. We had a 45 min gig last year and I played a 12/16/20 Rogers vintage kit in silver sparkle. Load in and out was a pain, too.

But if it's a super short gig (maybe 4-5 songs tops), and basically just Xmas songs, I wonder if I should take a full kit at all. Yes, I am feeling lazy! But I was thinking maybe just a set of congas on a stand, a mounted 10" popcorn snare, a tambourine, cowbell & sleigh bells. I could pull it off with a Latin flare, and of course, I'd prefer to not lug a full kit, cymbals & my ridiculous hardware bag (a large Army-type duffle with wheels but easily 75 lbs!).

I played a recent gig with them at an art gallery and I used a 10x14 bass (converted), a snare mounted on top, a ride mounted on top, and just a HH, and it was okay for a small gig, but this will be a large portable stage in a park with 1K+ people so I need to project although we should be miked......

Probably a dumb inquiry, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate them? Thank you......

Thumper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I vote for the light percussion ensemble - a conga will cover a lot of territory.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I play with my 11 y.o.'s acoustic guitar group. Bunch of kids from 7 - 17 y.o. and I am a volunteer instructor and the "house drummer." We play surf songs, Americana, blue grass, pop, etc. and it's all acoustic. A few people plug in acoustics but usually no bass.

We have a holiday Christmas gig this Friday but the set is 15-20 minutes only. It's one of those hurry on, through and hurry off gigs. Although I am waiting to hear back from the main instructor to see if there will be a house kit, but it's likely not based on last year's gig. We had a 45 min gig last year and I played a 12/16/20 Rogers vintage kit in silver sparkle. Load in and out was a pain, too.

But if it's a super short gig (maybe 4-5 songs tops), and basically just Xmas songs, I wonder if I should take a full kit at all. Yes, I am feeling lazy! But I was thinking maybe just a set of congas on a stand, a mounted 10" popcorn snare, a tambourine, cowbell & sleigh bells. I could pull it off with a Latin flare, and of course, I'd prefer to not lug a full kit, cymbals & my ridiculous hardware bag (a large Army-type duffle with wheels but easily 75 lbs!).

I played a recent gig with them at an art gallery and I used a 10x14 bass (converted), a snare mounted on top, a ride mounted on top, and just a HH, and it was okay for a small gig, but this will be a large portable stage in a park with 1K+ people so I need to project although we should be miked......

Probably a dumb inquiry, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate them? Thank you......
If you don't need toms, you could do a bikini kit.
Bass, snare, hats and A cymbal for ride/crash duties.
If you can mount the cymbal on the bass and dogbone the snare to the HH stand, you would basically only have 3 things to move; bass, hat stand and throne.
If you grab it right, you could pull the whole thing off stage in one carry.

Ludwig_ClassicMaple_2002_4.jpg

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
That could work. I forgot about my Traps kit. 10/12/14/20. 2 cymbal stands built in. The 3 toms and bass are on a rack and fold down. Probably 2 trips in but maybe one if I can get my pedal and DW 6K light stand, bass pedal, snare stand, and throne in a duffel, a snare bag, cymbal bag and load in the rest pre-assembled just folded down. Not sure how the thin 20 would sound unmiked.

20191211_225604.jpg

El Larry

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The traps kit is way cool, that might be a fun one to play. Walk in with the toms/bass/cymbals all in one ready to go, lol!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Latin is fine - we are playing Feliz Navidad! (we also do La Bamba but not Friday).
I really dig the congas thing but have no case for them.

Snare/bass "bikini" may not work as we will probably do Wipeout and I need at least one tom. Then again, playing that on congas will be interesting, too!

El Larry - whazzup! If I can make it all happen in one trip - for sure the Traps!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I ended up using the same kit I had last year - vintage Rogers 12 & 20 in silver sparkle (inspired by lcondo's recent kit posting!).....hats, 20" Bosphorus ride, 18" Dream bliss crash/ride to the right, and my snare was a 5x14 "rat rod" Dynasonic (die casts, tube lugs, regular wries only - no Dyna mechanism).......it worked great!

Thank you all.....

Woody85

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If it's a showcase for students and it's a short gig with minimal load in/out times I'd say the less you bring the better. Snare and brushes? Let the kids have the spotlight and just keep a steady tempo for them.

Buddy Roach

Reaction score
The traps kit is way cool, that might be a fun one to play. Walk in with the toms/bass/cymbals all in one ready to go, lol!
There was a drummer in my area that had one of those a few years back.

I have never met him but the bands he used to be in told me to never try using one of those things for a gig. They hated them, even when miked.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do the kids enjoy being backed by a real drummer on a full drum kit? If they get a kick out of it, I'd bring a four piece with a crash and ride. If the kids couldn't care less, just whatever gets you through the gig without throwing off the performers.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well it's definitely about the kids. I'm blessed to have my kid willing to learn with them and that they're letting me be a volunteer teacher. I've been doing this almost four years now every Saturday but it's such a worthy cause.

I'm not good enough to pull it off with just a snare. I've done gigs with a mini bass and a snare only, a flat ride and hats and it was fine. Yes, it's mostly brushes and rim shots and a little bit of playing. We do play some pop, blues and surf music which does require some drums and I think the kids enjoy it a lot. When we have a bassist, which is rare, we can really jam out. You'd be surprised how loud 30 + acoustic guitars can be.

I get to jam with my big guy, my little guy starts in two weeks, I have a steady gig playing all sorts of local events and venues and everybody has fun which of the most important thing!

sternerp

Reaction score
I just assembled a kit for a tiny stage. Used my cajon with kick pedal for the bass drum; with a mic in the sound hole, it has a good thump. This picture was with compact bongos, which I later changed to some LP mini-timbales. 12” hats and 12” snare. To sit at a normal drum set height, I purchased a 3” x 12” bar stool cushion to place on the cajon. The ride cymbal is on an arm attached to the bongo stand.

252CAF1C-4F05-47A7-9624-3C3E2DABD16A.jpeg