drums with head bigger than diameter...

stopsign70

Reaction score
like the Pearl Extender in the image...
if you played them,
how did they sound? longer sustain? same sound? lower tone? something bad?

thanks

Attachments

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Properly tuned, they can sound huge. 60's Rogers and Sonor Phonics were built that way.

stopsign70

Reaction score
?? not that way.
I suppose you are talking about a shell lightly undersized.
here heads one inch bigger tan the shell. example: 12 shell, 13 hoop, 13 head

Last edited:

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Properly tuned, they can sound huge. 60's Rogers and Sonor Phonics were built that way.
Not that way. The Pearl Extenders has thick spacers under the lugs so they heads were 1 inch larger than the shell.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
All are oversized. The Pearl drums you describe, vastly more so.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
All are oversized. The Pearl drums you describe, vastly more so.
Rogers and Sonor are not so oversized that they use heads 1" larger than the shell. I think that's the point of the question.

stopsign70

Reaction score
Rogers and Sonor are not so oversized that they use heads 1" larger than the shell. I think that's the point of the question.
yes, differente frpm Pearl Extender drums. so the question... alives

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was mentioned as a feature in Premier Signia drums (not Genista) but Signia--in the Introductory catalog of the "pre-internet" time

the Rebound Four Or Rebound Three (can't remember which) catalog/brochure
zip both -> here

You can see a Premier Signia from a Facebook group pic here:

probably the most underrated /future classic's at the moment
Signia's. even Bob Gatzen liked them ; )

Last edited:

stopsign70

Reaction score
it doesn't look like a 13 head on a 12 shell.
Pearl Extender are strongly undersized shell, Premier Signia are undersized, not like Pearl Extender
one inch difference

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
Same idea as a hanging gong “bass”, right? Supposed to have a tympani quality because the bearing surface/shell sits full on the flat surface of the head?

A counter argument - I’d be leery of playing one with sticks as opposed to mallets (like an actual tympani) due to worry about destroying the bearing edge that’s no longer tucked right against the hoop and somewhat protected. I have a few shells where the heads were over tightened to the point the sticks made contact and beaver-ed some nice craters in the edges that necessitate a recut.

boonky

Reaction score
This is a fun thread now happening on two different forums. Feels like a "Who's on First" skit!

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
slap six thick gaskets on a drum and see if it turns your crank

you'll get your answer in minutes, as opposed to months

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
LA Camcos, Sonor 3ply teardrops . Two examples of legendary sustain , both undersized shells .

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
LA Camcos, Sonor 3ply teardrops . Two examples of legendary sustain , both undersized shells .
I think he’s more asking about 15” hoop & head on a 14” shell with spacers under the lugs than drums where the bearing edges contact point is 13 3/4” on a 14” snare.

Which are fine-sounding drums! But I’m not really 100% sure at this point.

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I can't tell if some people still aren't picking it up, or just want to talk about undersized shells.

I've never heard of Pearl extenders. A quick and cheap way to produce that design, rather than commit to a newly cast lug. They should of carried it through the resonant side.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I can't tell if some people still aren't picking it up, or just want to talk about undersized shells.

I've never heard of Pearl extenders. A quick and cheap way to produce that design, rather than commit to a newly cast lug. They should of carried it through the resonant side.
Poor reading comprehension.... They only made the Extenders for a short time. They were in MD for a little while and then disappeared. Tama made timp toms for a short time too. They used the swivel lugs that are used on the gong bass drums and took a head an inch larger than the shell. They didn't last long either.

boonky

Reaction score
"I'm the "owner" of both threads on the different forums"

I thought so. How you doing Luca? Didn't HiPercussion make extended head drums? Maybe not. I'd love to find an old OTT drum.

"slap six thick gaskets...."

Say that fast five times!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
what's the point ultimately of this thread running on two forums with multiple Fathers.

EXTENDER W/RIMS GO!

won't be digging out my 'Hollywood" catalog pack from the 80s...but yeah maybe they made some toooooo

Just Google!

stopsign70

Reaction score
thanks for the last "real reading comprehension" comments :)

clear that Pearl Extender are different from undersized or similar, so I don't know why people follows talking about undersized and similar.

Boonky, Hipercussion made them only for mounted bass drums like gong drums, thety were called "space drums"

then the question:
how an Extender 12 or 13 (every measure too) tom sounds versus a 12 or 13 (every measure too)?

thanks